Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leftovers from making quilts? >

Leftovers from making quilts?

Leftovers from making quilts?

Old 04-30-2016, 06:03 AM

I use it on the back of the quilt or I cut them into strips. I make strip quilts for donation to battered women.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:50 AM

I took the pieces I cut off from the backing of a baby quilt and made new seat and backs for a folding chair. I added batting for more cushion and then added a crosshatch quilting to it. Then I decided to add curtains for the windows and doors down here to add a little more color. All this was done with the leftover scraps from the backing. Was able to make 10 short little valances and cover the seat and back of a chair. Decided to make curtains (valances only) for the garage windows/doors too. Still have fabric on the bolt leftover. I used a jigsaw multi-colored fabric made a couple years ago for I think Autism.

For leftover blocks from a quilt as well as the scraps, if its for a baby or child I make a stuffed animal and a pillow. Here's a pic of a stuffed elephant I made with the scraps leftover for a quilt made a couple years ago. Made him a pillow and little carry bag for him this year with more scraps I found in my stash.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0004.jpg   dsc_0005.jpg  
Old 04-30-2016, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Marley46 View Post
A very worthy organization called "Days for Girls" would be very glad of your larger scraps. There may be a group in your area. All the information is on their website.
I just finished 31 feminine hygiene kits using the "Days for Girls" specifications and patterns. I agree that it is a wonderful cause. The website is daysforgirls.org. My kits will be sent with this summer's mission team from our church to a village in Uganda.

Check the Days for Girls website for the prints that they want. They need cotton for drawstring bags and shields for the pads. The pads are made from flannel. Their patterns are not difficult, but are creatively designed.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:36 AM

I use many of the orphan or trail run blocks for tote bags. Depending on the block, I will use them folded in half and make a wine bag out of them. Great for a hostess gift (a bit nicer than just handing over a naked bottle of wine!). For blocks that are youngish in fabric or pattern, I will make a tote bag and use it as the gift wrapping for a child's birthday present. I hate buying gift wrap paper, it just seems like such a waste.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:46 AM

Why not make pillows to match quilt. Put on here for free. Yours free for cost of shipping.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:41 AM
Vat

I have started making pillow cases to match my quilts out of the scraps , if they are large enough and if they are not I piece them. Then is you use your quilt you have a pillow case to match or if you store your quilt and start to look for it you can tell what the quilt in in each pillow case. Been doing that for several years and it really cuts down on leftovers (scraps). I even try to mimic to quilt top, border, etc. to the pillow case, not just the same fabrics.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:06 AM

Tote bags, Messenger Bags, Gift Bags, Shoe Bags, Zipper pouches, Make up bags, Book covers, Bags for crocheted or knitted projects etc... These could be used as gifts or given to Charity or used at a Craft booth and money earned could go to Charity...
Old 05-01-2016, 03:30 AM

Sometimes I put them on the back.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:12 AM

Orphan blocks get appliqued on the back to kind of help "dress up" the back of the quilt and it helps keep everything coordinated. ...or you can keep them aside and when you have a bunch of them, put them together for a lap quilt, play mat or something.

Pieces of fabric get used in other projects. There are all kinds of sites that give you a variety of little projects to do with small bits of fabric.

http://crazylittleprojects.com/2014/...0-minutes.html

http://so-sew-easy.com/things-sew-kitchen/

these are just a couple of examples with a ton of great ideas. You can always sell what you make to help support your sewing habit.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:48 AM

I save mine and have used them in mug rugs, pot holders, bag's, place mats, table toppers and smaller quilts like lap quilts or doll quilts. You never know when you will need to make a quick gift that they will come in handy.