Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leftovers from making quilts? >

Leftovers from making quilts?

Leftovers from making quilts?

Old 05-01-2016, 01:43 PM

I prefer working with scraps to working with yardage. I also usually work with fairly small scraps. However, I think my process will work with larger pieces if you prefer.

Pick a simple block and start sewing the leftovers accordingly. Nine-patches and four-patches go well together. You can use a more complex block if you choose. Once you have enough blocks, you can sash them all with the same fabric or put an alternate block between them. Using this method, have this in progress.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]549116[/ATTACH]
Most of the scraps are from a quilt that was made with one line of fabric by Moda. Because so many of the scraps came from a coordinated line, the pieces that don't match still seem to coordinate. It also helps that I used such small pieces.
Attached Thumbnails img_1925.jpg   scrap-moda-river.jpg  

Last edited by Splinter; 05-01-2016 at 01:48 PM. Reason: change picture
Old 05-01-2016, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I just finished 31 feminine hygiene kits using the "Days for Girls" specifications and patterns. I agree that it is a wonderful cause. The website is daysforgirls.org. My kits will be sent with this summer's mission team from our church to a village in Uganda.

Check the Days for Girls website for the prints that they want. They need cotton for drawstring bags and shields for the pads. The pads are made from flannel. Their patterns are not difficult, but are creatively designed.
It's great to be able to make the shields and bags from fabric in my stash that I would never use for quilts. And I have enough quilts in the cupboard for now. And, it keeps me sewing, which I love to do!
Old 05-01-2016, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Candlenana View Post
What do you do with the scraps and /or pieces too big to be called scraps after finishing a quilt? I have 2 quilts that I made too many blocks for and have various size scraps leftover. I don't want to make 2 quilts alike but don't want to waste the leftovers.
Those become a charity quilt, when that happens to me.
Sharon in Texas
Old 05-01-2016, 10:25 PM

Remember when "sampler" quilts were all the rage? You can frame your leftover blocks all with the same fabric, to tie them together, or mix up the scraps into new blocks of assorted designs. If none of our suggestions for using them up catches your fancy, find a local charity quilt maker and give them away!
Old 05-02-2016, 05:24 AM

I saw a post on pinterest the other day. The lady makes 'end of the day' baskets out of her scraps. She cuts the leftovers into strips, wraps them onto cotton clothesline cord (while she's watching TV), and they makes scrappy coil baskets. They were adorable. I'm definitely going to think about doing that with some of mine.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...b977aeb6a4.jpg

Last edited by ksdot417; 05-02-2016 at 05:27 AM. Reason: adding link
Old 05-02-2016, 05:44 AM

I have been looking for the sewing room floor all weekend. I pile my scraps. So....i purchased a pop-up laundry basket (white mesh) for $2.88 at Wally World and now I plan to toss the scraps into it. Once it is filled, I plan to bag it up and pass it along. I don't do "scrappy". Only because I am not that focused on cutting up leftovers into manageable pieces. In fact, I used to donate my scraps to a charity group that teaches people to sew/piece. Now they don't even want my scraps...they want...YARDAGE. So, my scraps will be offered to those who truly are intersted in having them. But for now, they have a place to reside until I bag them up.

Oh, I DID find my floor!

sandy
Old 05-02-2016, 07:11 AM

I had a lot of bits left from a block-of-the-month I was working on (still haven't finished!), and I used them to make a small (about 36" square) scrappy quilt. I used smaller scraps for the front and binding, and larger scraps for piecing the back.
Attached Thumbnails 2014-08-07-19.33.16.jpg   2014-08-07-19.33.22.jpg  
Old 05-03-2016, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

They can be used to make preemie quilts. A 12 inch block and a border...I use flannel on the back...and most large hospitals will take any size quilts.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:15 PM

Wow, Ladies, you have some really wonderful ideas! Thanks for sharing!