Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lesson I learned today >

Lesson I learned today

Lesson I learned today

Old 09-19-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
Starch shrinks fabric. Well, I'm actually specifically using the Bounce spray. Dangit! Now I know why my pieces seem that I've cut them wrong! I have NOT cut them wrong! What I did was to cut them, then starch and press them. On one dark fabric with little circles on them, I finally saw why it was coming out smaller... the darn stuff actually shriveled right before my eyes!!

SO, lesson learned is to starch and press BEFORE cutting!!!! :o(
Did not know this thanks for the tip!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:37 AM

You don't actually "wash" your fabric. I tell my students to get the fabric wet by pressing it down in the water and making sure that it gets wet clear through. Then, press in towels till moist. Hang to dry on clothes hangers or an Amish drying rack until almost dry. Then press. Or, dampen slightly with a spritz bottle and press. You should have no more problems with shrinkage.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:51 AM

Even LQS quality 100% cotton (Moda) will shrink...I am also not a prewasher - (Hate washing clothes because I am getting bad knees and washer and dryer are on a different floor) but thanks to you, LL I have started starching before cutting. I use Mary Ellen's Best Press just because I love the lavender scent when I iron. (just started another flap between the scent/no scent group, I know :lol: ). I quilt because I love to and whatever makes me happy in my quilt room is OK with me and my kitties :lol: :lol: and I don't have any quilt police here. It sure is fun, amazing, curious to watch the fabric shrink before my eyes tho!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:00 AM

Another lesson learned!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:00 AM

I always prewash my material except the jelly rolls and yes zigzag the corners does help stop the fraying which i have done a couple times and should make a habit of it as it works . Also for the loose threads on the back i spray starch it and it makes it easier to pick up the loose threads .
Old 09-19-2011, 01:03 PM

I prewash everything and rarely starch. I tell my students to either prewash everything for a project or not to for the entire project. I've had bad experiences with not prewashing. If there is any shrinking I want it done before I have pieced, sewed and quilted. I don't like kits bc it's hard to prewash tiny pieces. I had one kit that I did prewash the pieces and one pieced shrank and raveled so bad that I had to substitute another fabric. If I had not prewashed would that fabric have ruined my project? I don't know, but I'm not willing to take that chance. Again. It's your quilt, your fabric and your time, do it the way you want to.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:11 PM

I've been quilting since before some of the board members were born and I've never used starch or prewashed a fabric. And I've never had anything happen that made me wish I'd done either..... just a thought.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:36 PM

Love all the advice, really..... I think everyone has valuable information and even if it's something I'm not accustomed to, I'm never against learning.

As for the pre-washing...... does this fall true of things like batiks too?? That they should be pre-washed? I'm just soooooooo scared to pre-wash! It just ruined my fabric so badly!! ugh.... maybe I'll buy some for a simple little project and try it. lol
Prewashing is especially important when it comes to batiks. They are notourious for running/bleeding.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
No, I'm not a pre-washer. When I took my first class at my LQS they advised us NOT to, and so I have gotten in the habit of not, and up until now it's never been a problem.
I did once, before that first class, wash all my fabric (in preparation FOR the class)and it was a disaster!!! It all frayed HORRIBLY and also I had SO much waste when squaring it up to get ready to cut! So since then, since I've had good results from not pre-washing, I've stuck with that.

I did just go and spray a piece of the fabric with water and it did shrink. I'll just have to start making sure I starch before I cut.

Oh, and it's most definitely 100% cotton. The shrinking actually happened right in front of my eyes AS I sprayed it, but from what I read above, the heat must have shrunk it more. ugh.
The pre-washers will be along shortly to give you what for for not pre-washing. Feel free to ignore them.

Do starch and iron before cutting though.

In the most recent class I took the instructor said if you're not going to pre-wash then iron and starch before cutting and after that only use a dry iron.
I learned the same lesson you did. I now starch and press before cutting. I used to pre-wash before cutting but do not do that anymore. However when I am get around to using some of the batik fat quarters that I have I think that I will pre-wash those as I have heard a lot about them bleeding heavily. Other than that I will just use color catchers after I wash my finished quilt.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
No, I'm not a pre-washer. When I took my first class at my LQS they advised us NOT to, and so I have gotten in the habit of not, and up until now it's never been a problem.
I did once, before that first class, wash all my fabric (in preparation FOR the class)and it was a disaster!!! It all frayed HORRIBLY and also I had SO much waste when squaring it up to get ready to cut! So since then, since I've had good results from not pre-washing, I've stuck with that.

I did just go and spray a piece of the fabric with water and it did shrink. I'll just have to start making sure I starch before I cut.

Oh, and it's most definitely 100% cotton. The shrinking actually happened right in front of my eyes AS I sprayed it, but from what I read above, the heat must have shrunk it more. ugh.
The pre-washers will be along shortly to give you what for for not pre-washing. Feel free to ignore them.

Do starch and iron before cutting though.

In the most recent class I took the instructor said if you're not going to pre-wash then iron and starch before cutting and after that only use a dry iron.
I learned the same lesson you did. I now starch and press before cutting. I used to pre-wash before cutting but do not do that anymore. However when I am get around to using some of the batik fat quarters that I have I think that I will pre-wash those as I have heard a lot about them bleeding heavily. Other than that I will just use color catchers after I wash my finished quilt.