Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: lesson learned!

Blog Entries

lesson learned!

Always reread pattern before cutting. Doing Anitas Arrowhead. You make 8' squares of contrasting colors leave 2'' openinv on 2 corners, cut on diagnal on SEWN corners!!! I did open corners!!!!! I hpe i can just sew the corners and open bottom? AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGĞHHHHHHHHHH! Feel like big oldummy!!
    Hopping your all having safe and fun 4th!!

Been there this last week I am doing fractures and have cut them the same way,double aaaarrrggghhh.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

Blog Entries
    I always have to learn by doing it wrong the first time! That's a fun and beautiful pattern.....Be sure and post photos as you go

Things will go better tomorrow, I just know it.

Dina

Anita has a fix for that right in her book... Obviously, she learned the hard way too. LOL!

So glad I read your post - I've been planning on doing this pattern and will be on the lookout for this.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

If you're taking her Craftsy class, she shows how to work around that.
    jean

I just finished this quilt top recently. What helped me was looking at the pictures. I'd move the pattern from my sewing table to my cutting table and back again so I could constantly be looking to make sure I was doing it correctly. It's such a pretty pattern, but it would be easy to make a wrong move and potentially ruin a whole square.

Quote Originally Posted by Painiacs View Post
    Always reread pattern before cutting. Doing Anitas Arrowhead. You make 8' squares of contrasting colors leave 2'' openinv on 2 corners, cut on diagnal on SEWN corners!!! I did open corners!!!!! I hpe i can just sew the corners and open bottom? AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGĞHHHHHHHHHH! Feel like big oldummy!!
    Hopping your all having safe and fun 4th!!
    I'm taking that class, too. She actually does discuss that exact error and how to fix it.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    After many years of quilting, my #1 rule is that good old carpenters motto. "Measure twice, cut once." Making one sample block before jumping into an entire pattern has saved me a lot of disappointment over the years. Read and re- read the instructions, then do a sample block with scraps. Makes me happy peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I am in the process of making a quilt with appliqued bears on it. Half of the bears are SUPPOSED to be going one way and the rest the other way. Isn't going to happen ! All mine will be going the same direction.
    Patricia

I just hate when that happens!! I hope it works out for you.Gina

I make sample blocks first - to figure it out - discover the pitfalls - get a really good look at it - do I really want to make #'s of this, etc.

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

So sorry, hope all turned out ok!!!!

Lesson learned

I recently made Anita's Arrowheads and loved it. She is such an innovative thinker who has figured out new ways to construct blocks-and so very generously shared them- so if you just go slowly, forget your usual methods and follow hers step by step you will be amazed at how fast those blocks get done! PS-yes, you can pick out the stitches on the wrong corners and stitch the correct ones and it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    After many years of quilting, my #1 rule is that good old carpenters motto. "Measure twice, cut once." Making one sample block before jumping into an entire pattern has saved me a lot of disappointment over the years. Read and re- read the instructions, then do a sample block with scraps. Makes me happy peace
    I learned the hard way to always do a sample block, or blocks. I have an entire bag full of fabric I wouldn't use in a quilt, and that's what I use for the sample blocks. Then I don't feel so badly about throwing it away -- as soon as I've finished the project. Those sample blocks can come in handy, especially if you are doing a different color block than the original.
    MacThayer

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    Amen to this!! I learned the hard way not to cut everything for the quilt until you've tried samples first with the fabric you planned to use. I cut everything, put 4 blocks together, and hated it! Could have used all that fabric somewhere else!

Blog Entries
    I took a class on Anita's Arrowhead this spring so I know how easy it was to cut in wrong place. But it does make a pretty block and once you make one, you will have no trouble making more. Always amazing to me how folks can figure out a new way to make a neat design.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!