Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lesson learned >

Lesson learned

Lesson learned

Old 08-08-2013, 05:28 PM

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful...very unique. It is very symbolic and great that it went for a display in the hospital cancer office. Maybe the person who bought it used his/ her own money and not the hospital's account. Although, the quilt should have been auctioned for more money it is comforting to know that it will be on display and provide a bit of distraction for patients and families.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:51 PM

Plenty of support for you here, you have a big heart to do all that work for charity. Try not to feel bad as you did your bit and others are going to so enjoy looking at your work as others have said. It is an outstanding quilt, you have great talent. Give yourself a big hug and try to move on I'd say.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:18 PM

I guess I would be the most upset with the person who set that price so low. If she was allowed to purchase prior , than a price should have been set at that time. Yes she clearly took advantage of the situation, but there is more than one person who bears some responsibility. I would certainly talk to whom ever set the price , and make it clear that any future donation of your time and resources would not be so generous if this is all it will yield.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:07 AM

You are obviously a generous and loving person who wants to do something good for others. You did. If you are ever asked again to make a quilt for a cause, you can just give money instead of talent and time and a wonderfully made quilt. People who want quilts rarely want to pay for them. You should have at least been reimbursed for the materials since it is going to hang in a very public place. You do wonderful work, but you (and therefore the organization)were severely shortchanged. IMHO
Old 08-09-2013, 04:13 AM

There are several problems with this situation. When one of these events are set up and people are asked for donations all kinds of arts and crafts are donated. The value of those items are also varied. It is good when the values are so varied because it give lots of people opportunity to participate either as a person to donate or to bid and buy. No one should be allowed to come early and "cherry pick" the items. Bidding and purchasing are diminished when the "best" items are removed too early. I participated (donated a baby quilt) in one of these events a few years ago. Several baby quilts were given. One person came in and said, before the sale, that she would take them all for a single price. It seemed like a lot of money in one transaction to the organizer-but it was way too low when you considered the whole picture. More importantly, it diminished the selection so that many people felt there wasn't much to choose from. This was not a happy situation. Each person who donates things of significant value like a quilt should have the opportunity to set a minimum or starting bid.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:17 AM

Oh, the quilt is just lovely! I am so sorry it did not fetch a worthy amount, but at least it is being seen by several people! Perhaps the next time any of us donate a quilt for a fundraiser or silent auction, an appraisal of the quilt could be obtained and attached to the quilt. This was done recently and the quilt did receive a bid very close to the value of the quilt appraisal.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:18 AM

Stunning quilt! It may not have brought much money, but it's legacy will live on!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:14 AM

You did an absolutely stunning job on the quilt! I would just make a small donation next time and save the quilts for those who truly understand the work that goes into one.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:29 AM

Thanks everyone. I know the benefit has discussed this situation for in the future. I was not asked to donate I just did this because breast cancer is a cause I am dear too. I had my mammogram on Wed and they have found a spot on my left breast that they need to keep an eye one. They do not think it is anything to be concerned with, but I guess I will still worry until I get the all clear. This is the first time I have had anything show on a mammogram, but I guess that is not so uncommon. As stated in the future I will not be donating anything like this again. I went to a church lunch yesterday and someone asked when my quilt would be displayed in the hospital. The person that bought it spoke right up and said you mean MY quilt. Thank goodness that GOD was holding my tongue. I appreciate all the nice compliments.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:44 AM

It's beautiful!