Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's encourage each other! >

Let's encourage each other!

Let's encourage each other!

Old 04-19-2013, 05:57 PM

I remember the first time I heard a fellow quilt club member talk about "cheater blocks". My heart skipped a beat and I felt as if someone had punched me. Some words have a real bad effect on some of us. Then I figured out what they are, and now it makes no difference to me if you want to make a quilt with cheater blocks. I do think that the quilt that Sharon Shambers uses for the tutorial on "binding the angel" is a cheater block. It's beautiful. A lot of nature quilts use such blocks with bears and wolves in them. They make wonderful quilts.

We all live and learn, and I have learned so much on this board, I am addicted to it. Sometimes things are said that are sarcastic or in jest, so we have to think the best of everyone. That makes us feel better.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

Each person should do their own thing and be proud of her accomplishments. I have a Phaff that my deceased BF bought used and then I was lucky to inherit it. Have been using it for six years and hope it lasts many more years. Makes me so thankful to have had such a great friend (still miss her dearly), every time I sew.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by ruck9085 View Post
But, a quilt made with love is still beautiful no matter if its sewn on a Bernina, a Baby Lock, a Janome or a Brother!
Linda, beautiful words!!! I do all my own quilting on a Brother, I call my style primitive I love it & it makes me happy. I'm far from an expert or talented artist-just the opposite but I have made & quilted quilts for charity and a few for charity fundraisers that have brought in over $500 each. Maybe a quilt done on a Bernina would have brought it more or be more prized-but none were donated there to compare. For those of you feeling intimidated by not having a Bernina, just stop feeling that way, sew on the machine that makes you happy. 10 yrs ago before I retired I bought a TOL Bernina because I had been made to feel that was the only way to go. I never bonded with that machine, it never made me feel happy sewing on it & I'll always regret buying it. Sewing is meant to be fun, sew with fun & love in your heart not feeling 2nd class.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 PM

Well you simply could of told her to feel free to buy one for those who don't own one since this is such a strong belief of her's.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:48 AM

AMEN!! couldn't agree more!!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:45 AM

I am fortunate to have a Bernina, but for just piecing, I would rather sew on my little old FW. I certainly don't sew any better on the Bernina and my quilts still have mistakes no matter which one i sew my blocks. If asked, I always tell people to buy the best machine you can afford or look for a used older all metal machine which will outlast the majority of the cheaper machines sold at Wallyworld. Having a well made machine no matter what brand will help a new sewer not get discouraged with sewing. Saying "I don't know why everyone doesn't own a Bernina" is probably about the silliest statement I have heard. It could be so devastating to someone interested in sewing who might get the idea that you cannot produce a beautiful quilt without a top of the line machine.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:03 AM

very nicely stated...
Old 04-20-2013, 11:30 AM

I needed this today!!! I do have a Bernina--a 20 year old Activa that my mom gave me when she moved to assisted living. It's a pretty basic machine but I do love the feet. I stopped at the Bernina store today to pick up a darning foot to try some free motion quilting. I was waited on by a lovely lady, but in short order I was completely overwhelmed by all the recommendations, the high caliber of work, the gorgeous quilting, the embroidery, etc.

I love to sew. I make most of my own clothes on a 35yo Elna. I'm making friends with the Bernina. I also have a Janome 6600. I'm a very beginning quilter--good at piecing but a rank amateur at quilting. But I love it all, and I thoroughly enjoy "trying."

I have decided to aim for simplicity. I will make what I like, learn as much as I can, keep the costs affordable to me, and just enjoy. If I keep this in mind, I don't feel pressured or inferior when I cannot keep up. It's supposed to be fun, right?

Again, thank you for posting!!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 11:36 AM

Forgot to say---while I was in the store, a "Harriet Hargrave protégé" called to inquire about a machine. At that point, I knew I was out of my league!!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:59 PM

My primary machine is from 1972. My sister still makes her quilts on her 1947 straight-stitch Singer. Don't let the quilt snobs intimidate you!!