Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's encourage each other! >

Let's encourage each other!

Let's encourage each other!

Old 04-17-2013, 04:41 PM

The American version of quilting, the "patchwork" quilt was born out of the economic need not to waste any precious bit of fabric. Woman stitched together by hand in the light of the fire, candles or lanterns the scraps left from the clothing they made for their families. They couldn't afford to waste anything. The European version of quilting always seems to be wholecloth. My mother's most precious possession for many years was the Featherweight she purchased in 1936. She was a Home Economics major in college although she never got to finish her degree. She hand carried it from Illinois to Maryland when she met and married my father. I learned to sew on it. My parents gave me a sewing machine when I graduated from high school. I'll bet it took my parents three years of monthly payments to pay it off. It was a cabinet machine made by Capital. I have never seen or heard of one since. After I had been married about ten years I got a part time job working for a Bernina dealer. I fell in love with their machines and was able to purchase one with a 40% discount. I was just as thrilled with the featherweight I found at a yard sale for just $20. It is my back up machine and I hope someday to teach a grandchild to sew on it. Over the years I have spent countless hours sewing. I started with clothes for myself and then my daughter. Now the overwhelming majority of my sewing is Linus quilts and charitable projects like the Princess Pillowcase dresses. I think my husband fell I love with me because I could and did mend his jeans and other clothes. His first wife couldn't even attach a button. Whatever machine you have or can afford can make something beautiful or useful.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:51 PM

I've heard comments of "I can't quilt because I can't afford a fancy machine." All you need is one that sews forward and backward. I do happen to have a TOL Bernina - not because I have to but because I wanted one. I always recommend that people buy the best THEY can afford. I hate to see someone quit quilting because their machine just doesn't work right. No one can tell what machine you stitched your quilt on. I would love to have my quilts custom quilted but just can't afford it - so I'm learning how to do my own. So sorry that some quilter's feel they have to put someone else down instead of taking the opportunity to mentor someone.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by TeresaS View Post
thank you for this topic. I too fell pry to the negative quilters comments. I have quilt for a year and used the word "cheat" for a question I had asked. Wow that was a horrible experience. So much so that I am VERY hesitant to post another question for help again. I will go to another board. It has ruined my experience with this board which I had used daily for tips etc. Its very sad. We have all had questions when we start and to take a question and twist it to a negative was a awful experience for me.
Oh no! Please don't give up on this board because of a few. There are so many nice, kind people here. Ask any question you want!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:09 PM

I used a basic machine for 10 years with no trouble. my quilts were just as nice. There will always be snobs, you just have to learn to tune them out. TOL is nice but not necessary, and also more expensive to maintain and repair just like expensive cars
Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 PM

Oh, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Don't give up on this board. I believe the great majority of these folks are just the kindest, generous people. So much good information and help is available here. One never knows the lasting pain they inflict by one unkind remark. I don't think beginners should ever be made to feel their questions are wrong or dumb.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:23 PM

Micha, Hope you never have to feel bad about not having top of the line anything. Your finished quilt will be every bit as beautiful as one made on another brand machine. You certainly have my full encouragement!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:23 PM

I have a Bernina that belonged to my mother , the only reason I have one. Buy the best you can afford, fabric, machine etc, but MOST important is that you do the best that you can. Just remember what our fore-mothers used...what ever was at hand and some of those quilts are still around.
D.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:38 PM

My favorite machines are the two that belonged to my mother and Great Aunt Mae (they cot me nothing) - my very fancy machines I waited 38 years to be able to afford. I have heard people swear by the high-end machines and the very expensive LA"s - but we need to buy what we can afford - saving money for fabric, thread and batting or all you have is a fancy machine and nothing to do.

Sometimes we just have to understand that some people don't hear themselves - I know I am guilty of that - and say some very ignorant statements. And I have also had my feelings hurt by comments others have said on the Board but I do believe since I am reading the comments maybe I am not reading it in way they intended. So please don't be afraid to post - you may be asking the same question someone else is hesitating to ask, or one someone hadn't thought of yet and gets an "aha" moment from your question or comment. And I can't tell you how many pictures I copied because the quilts are new to me and I want to consider making.

Please stick with us and ignore the comments - if the comments are truly hateful, my guess is the administrator wants to know about it and will assist in the situation.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:58 PM

Look at all the beautiful quilts that are completely hand sewn and quilted. Always amazes me!!! I believe that our mind and creative spirit (and endurance) are our most valuable tools.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:18 PM

I too own a few Berninas, but started out on a $150 kenmore. My parents bought it for me for Christmas the year I was a sr in HS. My daughter wanted to get into quilting, and I could have given her my Bernina 430 I inherited from my mom, but I think she needs to "earn her stripes" . So we bought her a Costco Brother for Christmas. I agree no one has the right to make some one feel bad for having a "low end" machine. On the flip side, I was at a quilt retreat, and people were talking about the Bernina 830. I mentioned that I had the 820, and someone commented that they could not understand why anyone would pay $6000 dollars for a sewing machine , and that was silly, and money could be spent better else where. She carried on with no regard to my feelings. I made the choice to keep quiet, as I do not have to justify my spending to anyone except my husband, especially to a person I hardly know. The point I am trying to make is "to each his own" quilters come in all shapes and sizes, and so do our machines. We all have the same common goal, and that is to make the world a little better place to live in, one stich at a time. W