Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's give some Gold Stars to our LQS/Fab. stores! >

Let's give some Gold Stars to our LQS/Fab. stores!

Let's give some Gold Stars to our LQS/Fab. stores!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:12 AM

Two very accomodating quilt shops within 35 miles of my home are Prairie Start Quilts in Elk Horn, Iowa and Threads, Inc. in Carroll, Iowa. The ladies at both shops are always willing to help and have even helped me figure out yardage when I was in doubt.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:20 AM

The Cozy Quilt Shoppe in River Edge NJ on Kinderkamack Rd.
Dee and her staff are super! When you walk in they greet you right away. Dee enlarged Take 5 into a King size for me and calculated the fabric I needed. She also helped me pick the fabrics to go with what I had for a reg size Take 5. Alway helpful.
Linda V
Old 07-16-2010, 11:31 AM

I just got back from the 35th Ave Sew and Vac shop here in Phoenix and they have a huge area that goes by Fabric World. They are also on the web under 35th Ave Sew and Vac. I had to match some fabric and get some fabric to use as borders on a French Braid quilt I am doing. The ladies in here were very helpful in finding the fabric that went with what I was making. They are always willing to go out of their way to look and if they don't have what you need, to order it for you. As I was leaving the store I saw a wall hanging that I absolutely wanted to have. They didn't have the pattern in stock. I was able to talk to the lady who does the ordering and was able to request a copy of the pattern and she will call me when it comes in. Service is always excellent. It is also where I bought my new BabyLock machine and got free classes on how to use all the new stuff on it that I had no idea of how to use.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
I should point out that I don't care about being greeted. If it's a store that knows me, I am always welcomed.
I do not want hovering staff, just want knowledgeable help when I ask for it

Quilters Workshop in Newport, NH : Gail Peck, Rachael and I can't remember her name - all great ladies
Quilted Threads in Henniker, NH - Becky and all the staff

New England Fabrics Keene, NH - I rarely shop there because they don't carry fabric I like but the staff is good. I bought Jem Golds for my granddaughter and grandson and a Gold and Platinum for myself - good prices, know the machines.

Portsmouth Fabrics in Portsmouth NH - great fabrics, helpful staff

Log Cabin Fabrics, Ravena, NY - Londa VanDerzee's great
Gloversville Sewing Center, Gloversville, NY - Diana Marshall is a gem. I bought my Bernina from Diana at QBL in the late 80s; and I still bring it to their shop for her husband John to service it.

Textile Company Greenville (I think), Mass - vast fabric collection, staff very helpful - they don't take charge cards
Southampton Quilts, also in Mass. Wonderful fabrics, good staff
Cambridge Quilt Shop Cambridge Mass - good fabrics and help

City Quilter, NYC - Amy and Cathy knowledgeable and helpful
And don't forget The Golden Gese in Concord, NH. There's a lady there ( can't remember her name, my brain is on hold!) who is super helpful. I always plan to go to the shop on the weekends when she works. Love the selection they have too. If you can't find it there, you can't find it anywhere! Or if it exists, they'll get if for you!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:43 AM

Ok Here are Mine from Wisconsin
I have always been treated wonderful at all of them!

Quintessential Quilts Reedsburg WI
Bits and Pieces Elm Grove WI
Cutting Edge Antigo WI
Sew and Save Kenosha WI
Bigsby's Sewing Center Elm Grove WI
Pinery Patches Tigerton WI
QuiltEssentials Oshkosh WI
Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 PM

I went to Joanns today and found some great deals. I have my choice of two Joanns and they are both very helpful and friendly.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:52 PM

There are several more on 441 ad 411 toward Georgia. Love all those you mentioned.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:55 PM

Claus'enPaus Quilt Shop in Columbus, Nebraska. Owned by two sisters (the shop name is a combination of their last names) Cool idea -right? anyway they have been open about a year and a half and are doing great. Customer service is always there, books at 20% off all the time, lots of specials. Always help available and classes etc. Refreshments are always on. Just an all around great shop.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by JEM65
If anyone is in the Atlanta area two of my favorites are:

Sweet Home Quilt Company in Conyers. Melissa and Mike own the shop and are always available. Melli will find you just the right piece of fabric - warm friendly and knowledgable!

A Scarlet Thread in McDonough is wonderful. Ask for Angela the Fabric Diva - she is fabulous.
Oh, and I LOVE the Red Hen in Marietta, GA
Old 07-16-2010, 01:04 PM

A new Quilt Store in Atlanta???? Whipstitch? Tell me about it and where to find it.

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
Another quilter mentioned two in the Atlanta area...but here are my favorites: Intown Quilters in Decatur and Whipstitch Fabrics in an industrial area of NW downtown. Intown carries my favorites: 30's, batiks, brights of all kinds, and novelty fabrics. No 1895 repro's here! The classes are great, the teachers funny, and the staff will leave you alone to wander and think if you want!

Whipstitch is very new but has fabrics that are edgy and fun. It's a small shop but worth looking for if you're in the area.