Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Light Weight Batting Suggestions >

Light Weight Batting Suggestions

Light Weight Batting Suggestions

Old 03-16-2016, 04:21 AM

We live in the Houston area and I agree about using silk. It is cooler than wool or cotton. I use the Hobbs brand.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:46 AM

Thank you all. Very good topic, and glad to hear your input.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

I would recommend a low loft poly batting. I use high loft poly batting, warmth without the weight.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:57 AM

Thinsulate is wonderful for year round use. I did one several years ago and the quilting shows nicely.
It is difficult to find. I found mine at a Hancocks. Check online, and at JoAnns, too
Old 03-17-2016, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

So many choices and can be overwhelming. My quilts will be going to the northern part of Indiana and Michigan. Just want them to be warm.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
I am not associated with the company but Quilters Dream .... Dream Orient DOES NOT use a synthetic product in place of organic bamboo fiber. It is the only batting company our business deals with because if they are selling a synthetic like their Dream Poly they tell you so. In light of the above comment it might be wise to avoid other companies selling a "bamboo" batting. Anything synthetic would definitely be hotter.
I don't personally have any first-hand knowledge about Dream Orient, but there are a number of reputable sites that advertise is at "rayon from bamboo" (for example: https://www.fabric.com/buy/qbr-022/q...108-x-93-queen), because while it starts out as 100% bamboo, the chemical process bamboo goes through to give it that silky-smooth texture involves chemically re-engineering its cellulose fibers. I found out that bamboo-rayon is technically considered "semi-synthetic". It is very absorbent (like cotton) and can be woven as densely as silk, at which point it has the potential to cause overheating. It really just depends on the density of the fibers -- which is true for cotton as well, but cotton is a thicker fiber and does not get as dense as some rayons. I'm sure Dream Orient is lighter & cooler than W&N, but I still would recommend wool as a first choice.

I openly admit that I haven't spent much time studying "bamboo" batting firsthand because I have a contact allergy to bamboo-rayon (and several other types of rayon) and get rashes all over my hands just from helping my mom out by folding her 100% Tencel (bamboo-rayon) sheets. That said, because of my allergy, I have done quite a bit of reading on the product. Here are a couple of sites you may find interesting:

FTC Warning about "Bamboo" fabrics: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...bamboo-fabrics
Manufacturing process of bamboo-rayon: http://organicclothing.blogs.com/my_...-facts-be.html
Site about rayon's properties: http://textileapex.blogspot.com/2015...roperties.html
Old 04-02-2016, 02:44 PM

Default summer quilt for TX heat

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
A lady friend of mine who lives in San Antonio, TX has asked me to make her an Irish Chain quilt. OK, so that is the easy part. But she wants a very light weight batting because of the weather in TX. I've always used Warn and Natural in my quilts. Is there anything else that can be used? Suggestions please. Thank you!!

Hello happy quilter,

I've made many quilts without using batting of any kind. I choose fabric for backing that will compliment the weight of the top. I've not had a problem of anyone, even those living in the north USA climate accepting and using the quilts. Fabric used? Sometimes flannel, t-shirt fabric (cut from old t-shirts that are without blemish or stains), cotton/polyester blend bed sheets (all one piece and easy to work with - they are soft when washed). Hope this has helped. From a quilter-gal in north TX.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:49 PM

How 'bout muslin as batting?