Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: On- Line Vs Local Quilt Shop

Blog Entries
    on-line. as much as I enjoy the fabrics at my LQS, they are just too expensive for me. I can get much more fabric on-line (most with free shipping if specific $ spent) than I can at the LQS. I have yet to be disappointed with any of my on-line fabric purchases.

Blog Entries
    I usually shop online. I can't afford $13 - $15 a yard!

50/50

Love to feel the fabric and hold the fabric. However when I know what I want/need will order on line if I can get it at a better price.

Blog Entries
    About 1/2 & 1/2, due to the 3 gift cards I got for Christmas.Still, my "On Line Shops' notebook is a good thing. I'm keeping a lot of info for the ones I like dealing with ,along with their shipping policy.Then I have a "NEVER" list.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    This past year has had more price increases for fabric than I think any of us have ever experienced.
    I considered myself commited to support local businesses , expecially my LQS, but have found myself faced with prices over $12.50 per yard ... with a shrinking wallet ... I admit in the last year.. even more in the last 6 months more of my purchases have been on-line than all of the previous years combined. It is a fact I am almost embarrased to have to admit , since I feel a sense of betrayal , in not supporting my local.
    My question is ....
    In the last year ... or maybe even 6 months have you spent more of your fabric $$ on- line than in the past? and if it has what has caused the increase of on-line? Price , convieniece , selection?

I do both, but probably spend more online though. The LQS I spend money on classes, threads and other misc things. When shopping on line, I look for fabric lines that I know so I won't get any surprises when the fabric arrives.

I visit my LQS a couple of times a year to see and touch the new fabric but I only buy what is on sale. Otherwise I shop online - more convenient, better selection and much better pricing.

I buy mostly at LQS...we have had 3 close in our area recently and a major part of that is because so many people have gone to online buying even though these stores kept their fabrics up to date and always good sales...we only have 2 left and I plan on doing my part to keep them open..heheheh....the only time I buy online is when I have bought a line of fabric and can't seem to find the last one in the line...than I will go and find it....if I see something online I want I ask the shop owner if she will be getting it or can she....we have a small business my dh runs from our home and I know how important it is for both online and local customers...blessings

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I buy primarily at LQS but have picked up some nice batiks on sale on line. I prefer shopping at LQS mainly because I like the up close and personal contact with fabric before I buy. But I sure like the prices I can get online.

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    100% online - convenience and selection.
    Morning quilters - do you have a favorite place on-line to buy or several different for various items? I live in the country & w/the price of gas going up so high (plus the prices of EVERYTHING), I try to limit my trips to town to a minimum. Have not shopped for fabric on-line, as a little leary of the quality. And like most quilters, I love to 'touch' the fabric & dream a little of how a piece would look in a future project.

Thanks for sharing - have a blessed day w/all your quilts filled w/love.

I buy mostly online, but I do try to support my LQS, cause there's only one and I'd hate to lose her. But I can get quality fabric online cheaper and usually free shipping, so it makes it hard.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Great-great granny
    Morning quilters - do you have a favorite place on-line to buy or several different for various items?
    Someone yesterday was looking for a specific fabric and had never before shopped online - here's the post (and check out the one after) I replied back to her:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-113085-1.htm#2935354
    That's a start. You're going to have to educate yourself on what you like and what you want to spend.

There are many threads already about favorite online shops so I'm not going to rehash that. You can search them yourself. Sometimes the lowest price stores don't have the best selections. Sometimes. ;-)

But many do allow 1/4" yard cuts if you're looking for a wide selection but just want a sampling. I personally don't buy "collections" because it's not my taste, but go do some browsing, get on email lists so you will be notified when are sales and free shipping offers.

Do order from http://Hancocks-paducah.com (not the hancock fabric stores) at least once so you can get on their mailing list and get a catalog. Love, love those catalogs. Great way to find out about new collections, but also great to have for the staples - blenders, batiks, etc.

Also, ebay is a great source of fabrics. Worth perusing to see what's available - both brand new fabrics and fabrics from sellers destashing. And - just use your noggin when buying and make sure you read the descriptions - don't just look at the picture. If the description doesn't answer your questions, ask the Seller or move on to the next listing.

Here are two more that I've recently purchased from that have great prices:
    http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/index.cfm one yard minimum but really cheap prices
    http://fabricshack.com/

Enjoy!

I buy 95% of my fabric locally, but I have not seen prices anywhere near as high as some of you are quoting. I am blessed with a wide selection of local shops...'local' being within an hour's drive...and I will continue to support them.

I value the personal interaction, the mutual interest, and the supportive relationships I have built with the owners and staff of these businesses. That, to me, is worth paying a bit extra and always will be. We share so much more than a love of fabric. :oops:

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    Quote Originally Posted by Great-great granny
    Morning quilters - do you have a favorite place on-line to buy or several different for various items?
    Some one yesterday was looking for a specific fabric and had never before shopped online - here's the post (and check out then one after) I replied back to her:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-113085-1.htm#2935354
    That's a start. You're going to have to educate yourself on what you like and what you want to spend.

There are many threads already about favorite online shops so I'm not going to rehash that. You can search them yourself. Sometimes the lowest price stores don't have the best selections. Sometimes. ;-)

But many do allow 1/4" yard cuts if you're looking for a wide selection but just want a sampling. I personally don't buy "collections" because it's not my taste, but go do some browsing, get on email lists so you will be notified when are sales and free shipping offers.

Do order from http://Hancocks-padcuah.com (not the hancock fabric stores) at least once so you can get on their mailing list and get a catalog. Love, love those catalogs. Great way to find out about new collections, but also great to have for the staples - blenders, batiks, etc.

Also, ebay is a great source of fabrics. Worth perusing to see what's available - both brand new fabrics and fabrics from sellers destashing. And - just use your noggin when buying and make sure you read the descriptions - don't just look at the picture. If the description doesn't answer your questions, ask the Seller or move on to the next listing.

Here are two more that I've recently purchased from that have great prices:
    http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/index.cfm one yard minimum but really cheap prices
    http://fabricshack.com/

Enjoy!
    THANKS SO MUCH MTS - your suggestions will be very helpful I'm sure. I'll 'save' the links to ck. out later.

Happy quilting

I have started buying more online as my favorite quilt shop is 4 hours from my home (Lolly's in Shipshewana, IN). There is a nice little shop in Shelbyville, IL that I visit once a year when dh and I go to Lake Shelbyville for Labor Day weekend, little boing the operative word here. Not much selection. I buy some at Joann's, but only the premium stuff. I'm starting to buy a lot online as I have no other choice.

I buy about 50/50 online & locally. It depends on what I'm looking for. I shop color/print first, then price. We have a big JoAnn's & one LQS that I know of nearby. I shop at both as well as e-bay, here on the board & online. Have an order at Nancy's Notions right now for a kit I wanted.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    To anyone who's been afraid to buy online because they like to feel the fabric first: there are some companies that have been particularly consistent (for decades!) in printing cloth that has the same thickness and finish and touch. If you've felt one, you've felt 'em all... even if it was 20 years ago that you touched 'em. These would be Michael Miller, Timeless Treasures, and Alexander Henry.

There are plenty of other makers who have cloth with a nice feel, too!

I try to support my LQS but she doesn't have a lot of selection. I like to see and touch the fabric but I do buy on-line for the selection.

Susan

Blog Entries
    I buy mostly on line for convenience and price, I can get just as good as my LQS which all are at least 45 min to 1 hr away. I have not been disappointed in what I have bought on line and a lot cheaper than $12 a yard. I have bought a lot from "Thousands of bolts and one nut" has qreat sales and I am on their mailing list, so I get advanced notice for sales.

I, too, am trying to find ways to keep my quilting budget under control. But I also realize that if I want the local quilt shop to stay open for business I have to support her or she will go under. She is 3 miles away from my house, and I can go there with machine problems or quilt problems or whatever, and she is always willing to help. I would really miss that. And I love to take classes.
    I'm still spending the same amount of money, but with all the price increases I am not getting as much for it. I am using my stash a lot more, and that is probably a good thing.

I buy mostly online as well, you can compare the prices per yard easily and often get free shipping. That being said, i usually subscribe to our LQS'S BOM ($5/month) and pick up threads or a FQ here and there to support my LQS as well. ;)

The only local fabric store close to me is about a 45 mile round trip so I get there when I can. I do quite a bit of online shopping as I usually find better prices, better selection, and can shop whenever. Even my online shopping has slowed down though.

I have to agree with MTS!

TreeFrog

I hate to admit but I am shopping much more online and it is because of price and selection. I am sure my LQS are hurting because there selections seem to be shrinking. I just can't afford to spend $12.50 per yard.

Blog Entries
    I have a small quilt shop that I use for immediate necessities but i have been ordering on line now . I just wait for sales.
    I have ordered Jinney beyer fabrics on line from her and e-bay have been satisified by both. If I use a pattern from JB I can call and get help.
    caarol gross

Blog Entries
    I do both, probably about even in $ amount. I tend to buy things that I'm not sure of at the LQS so I can see/feel it in person. Known products are easy to buy on-line. I do want to support my LQS so they stay in business..I encourage them to offer classes and do extra activities because they can't stay in business if they are relying only on fabric sales...now thats JMHO.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast