Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: On- Line Vs Local Quilt Shop

I buy online only I am home bound so getting to a LQS is out of the question. I love how easy it is to get my package and not have to drive saves gas $$

Blog Entries
    Since I'm on a fixed income I shop my stash...which is huge but not new...and yard sales, and occasionally online clearances and sales. More than once I've been thankful for all the collecting (hoarding) :lol: I've done throughout the last 25-30 years. I have enough fabric, thread and notions to last me the rest of my life. It may not be from the newest lines but it's enough to satisfy my quilting urges and keep me sane and happy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyK
    Online. I heard the owner (of the only local store I have been to) complaining to a staff member about people who make quilts from precut fabric with a pattern and then pay someone to long arm quilt it having the nerve to call themselves quilters. You're darn skippy they do and I certainly won't be paying money to keep the quilt police in business.
    :shock: I would never give that store a penny! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

I buy 97 percent on line and the rest when DH and I visit with our children and granbabies. No local quilt shop

Both. I will buy small, 1/2 yd at LQS or for binding. Check out their clearance bins. But after 14 yrs of quilting I have lots of fabric, some more than 3 yds. The local shop doesn't carry some threads that I prefer, so I do an online order. We need to let the fabric manufacterors our opinion as to the increase in prices and quality. I'm going to check out the mill ends fabric store in Co Springs next time I need fabric.

I have to go along with this. I love to go to shops just to look and of course you will buy something, but with what gas is going for that's not going to be happening and I will be using on line more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanaof4
    Online for me. One Saturday drove 100 miles at $3.52 a gallon for gass and never found the fabric I could use. Found the 6 yards of fabric and only paid $4.95 for shipping. Gas prices are the culprit that will hurt the LQS.

where do most of you do your online shopping, I really haven't found a site yet, and also who has the best shipping rates. That's what really gets me. I can't see how they can charge the shipping rates that they do. 1 yd. dosen't really weigh very much.

I'm very lucky to be close to a lot of great shops and I'm married to an enabler who encourages me to shop at LQS on day trips (or longer trips) when we are going anyway. I have bought more online since I've been active here but I certainly am still supporting my local shops. I've taken several classes this winter and always buy extra things when I'm there for the class (smart marketing plan there). This is my biggest hobby, I am lucky to have a good job, and I don't buy much of anything else. (I have friends with shoe collections, purse collections, scrapbooking supplies that probably equal what I have in supplies).

I buy both online and at LQS. Often I will buy some of the last of a bolt from LQS and of course discover I need more, so purchase the rest online.

I buy mostly at all the LQS ... but after seeing prices up to $10-11 yd last week in 2 shops nearby ... wow. I'll continue to support the LQS as best I can, and USE MY STASH !! :roll:

I spent three hours at a large local shop earlier this week looking for, and finding, six perfect fabrics for an IRR border. Not once was I glared at for taking so long or made to feel the least bit guilty for wandering around, trying so many different bolts, changing my mind several times or anything like that.

When I finally made it to the cutting table, the cutter oooh'd and ahhh'd over my choices and made me feel wonderful about my selection of fabrics. She was open and friendly despite my changing my mind a few times about how much I wanted her to cut...always before she cut and always to increase what I wanted.

When I commented to her that I so much prefer to shop for fabrics locally than online, she smiled and said "all of us here thank you for that". Now, this particular shop also does business online, but to the ladies working the floor, it's people like me who keep their jobs safe, help the economy of their town, and support local community. All of that matters to me. The name of this local shop...Keepsake Quilting.

I have sewn for years (so I have a hugh stash) but am new to quilting & blessed to have 4 LQS's within 1/2 hr. radius plus Joann's. Have to confess I have never bought fabric on line.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    I would say about half.....I LOVE going to the LQS's to see whats new, feel all the fabrics, ect. But I buy alot her now, and then theres Connecting threads which gets a nice chunk, and a few others............
    I just love Connecting Threads!!!!!!!!!!

Most of my shopping on-line. I have been doing this for awhile and can always find it somewhere on sale.

I support my LQS. The average life of a local quilt shop is 2 1/2-3 years. Anyone who makes it longer then that is lucky.I do buy fabric for garments on line since they just don't have quality fabric at the stores near my home except one.And I always stop there before I purchase on line. That being said, I have enough fabric and projects for quilting to last me. If I need thread or batting, then I'll shop LQS. I just hope I can finish all the projects before I leave this earth I know prices are going up, but shopping on line takes away a sale that my local shop could use.

Since Walmart closed their fabric department, ( only a little of the prepackaged), I do most of my shopping either online or at Joann's if i got out of town. there is nothing else available where I live. The closest Joann's is 120 mile round trip. Only one LQS and way to expensive for me.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvmycats
    The average life of a local quilt shop is 2 1/2-3 years. Anyone who makes it longer then that is lucky..
    I'm so surprised at such a short time! In the western NY area, thinking back over 20 years or so, there are four shops that have been in business all that time (or nearly so)... one new startup this year, two that have disappeared and one that merged with a sewing machine dealer.

So I guess here we have been bucking the trend, successfully.

In contrast: we used to have three fabric chains, one stayed, two closed, one more came, and of course you all know the Wal-Mart story.

Maybe this is an LQS-friendly area?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4