Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
On- Line Vs Local Quilt Shop >

On- Line Vs Local Quilt Shop

On- Line Vs Local Quilt Shop

Old 04-05-2011, 11:39 AM

I was in our only LQS recently and prices were anywhere from $10.50 to $15.95 per yard. JoAnn's is about the same now but perhaps $1 a yard less. The employees at JoAnn's told me last week their prices are increasing again soon. All my quilts are for donation so I either buy from Connecting Threads or garage sales or if JoAnn's ever has a coupon that is good for fabric.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:46 AM

I would much rather support my local quilt shop, unfortunately the closest one is a 45 minute drive from my home. Right now I am making do with Hobby Lobby & Hancocks, but oh how I miss the quality, look & feel of high end quilting fabrics and the atmosphere of a good quilt shop. With the price of gas being what it is, I will be doing a lot more purchasing on line. :?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

I buy from any source that has what I want at the price I want to pay. If the local stores can match the price or item I've found online then I'll buy local. I've noticed some local stores have a website with lower prices online then in the store! One store manager told me the low price was only for online ordering not in store buying. It seems the item is shipped directly from the wholesaler via the store and the store makes a profit from it and doesn't have to pay shipping to have the item in the store or have to have shelf space for it. I've given up buying local just to be loyal unless it's an absolute favorite store.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:23 PM

I can't imagine charging my loyal customers more than someone I haven't even seen. Sorry.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I love to patronize the Etsy sellers who sell good quilting fabrics. Their prices are usually competitive, too. Aside from that, I am a sucker for a good online sale. Almost never buy from the LQS because everything is ridiculously expensive. I do buy their clearance stuff, tho.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DLeeB
Just remember, if you continue to buy on-line you won't have your local quilt shop. When you need thread, you'll have to buy on-line.
All fabrics are going up, in fact, everything is going up - food, gas, etc. That's just how our economy works.
I agree, but if a person is on a SMALL FIXED INCOME - you have to still stretch the same amount to be able to even get less - so it means looking for any place you can find to save a few pennies whenever you can. It is better than having to COMPLETELY give up something you love.

Unless a person has NO MONEY WORRIES AT ALL, I think this applies to almost everyone. Even those who were making what was once considered a "nice" living are watching how the spend their $$'s now.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:40 PM

both, i but mostly notions, thread etc. online, because its cheaper but fabric i really like to see, so unless its something i have that i already know how it looks, I will buy at the LQS. The only time i buy notions at the LQS is if i need it in a pinch and can't wait a week or 2 to be shipped
Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM

Yes, I have spent more on line this past year than ever before.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:19 PM

I try my local quilt stores first and then, if they don't have what I need, I go online. I was getting fabric for a blooming nine patch and the LQS had all but one of the fabrics I wanted so found the last one online.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 PM

LQS! I want to feel the fabric, I want to color match with real colors and I want to lay everything out.