Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
On- Line Vs Local Quilt Shop >

On- Line Vs Local Quilt Shop

On- Line Vs Local Quilt Shop

Old 04-05-2011, 06:17 PM

Online great price. I have some quilt shops here where I live where the prices are very reasonable, not more thatn $8 per yeard. But when I go to California, the prices are crazy!! In the last 5 months I have spent over $200.00 online and not more than $25 offline!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:38 PM

I still tend to buy at my LQS. Mainly, I want to see and touch the fabric before I buy. I have ordered on line and some times the colors aren't true to the description or sample on the web site. I know I can return the fabric but that is a hassle so I prefer to buy when I can see and touch the actual fabric. In our small MT town we actually have two LQS and both do fairly well. I have noticed that some of the most recent arrivals are at $10.25 for cotton and $11.00 for flannel. I know they ware both trying to keep there prices in check.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 PM

I'm a very slow quilter so don't buy nearly as much fabric as most but what I've bought has been from Joanne's and my LQS (which just went belly-up). Purchased some on-line but not much.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:27 PM

I do most of my shopping online. We only have a Hancocks locally, and prices are really high.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Online. I heard the owner (of the only local store I have been to) complaining to a staff member about people who make quilts from precut fabric with a pattern and then pay someone to long arm quilt it having the nerve to call themselves quilters. You're darn skippy they do and I certainly won't be paying money to keep the quilt police in business.

I was going to have them long arm all of the quilts too big for me to handle, (I was there that day to find out their pricing) but I'll pay the postage to send it to board members instead!

I haven't been to any others in the area because my days are just too full, shopping online is so much faster!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 PM

I buy online only I am home bound so getting to a LQS is out of the question. I love how easy it is to get my package and not have to drive saves gas $$
Old 04-06-2011, 07:45 AM

Since I'm on a fixed income I shop my stash...which is huge but not new...and yard sales, and occasionally online clearances and sales. More than once I've been thankful for all the collecting (hoarding) :lol: I've done throughout the last 25-30 years. I have enough fabric, thread and notions to last me the rest of my life. It may not be from the newest lines but it's enough to satisfy my quilting urges and keep me sane and happy.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KellyK
Online. I heard the owner (of the only local store I have been to) complaining to a staff member about people who make quilts from precut fabric with a pattern and then pay someone to long arm quilt it having the nerve to call themselves quilters. You're darn skippy they do and I certainly won't be paying money to keep the quilt police in business.
:shock: I would never give that store a penny! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Old 04-06-2011, 08:16 AM

I buy 97 percent on line and the rest when DH and I visit with our children and granbabies. No local quilt shop
Old 04-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Both. I will buy small, 1/2 yd at LQS or for binding. Check out their clearance bins. But after 14 yrs of quilting I have lots of fabric, some more than 3 yds. The local shop doesn't carry some threads that I prefer, so I do an online order. We need to let the fabric manufacterors our opinion as to the increase in prices and quality. I'm going to check out the mill ends fabric store in Co Springs next time I need fabric.