Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Linen napkins and table cloths >

Linen napkins and table cloths

Linen napkins and table cloths

Old 11-27-2010, 06:28 PM

Sounds like using them in a quilt would be a great use for them. I would not recommend that you cut any of them, simply preserve them because of age. Perhaps you could use the table cloths for the center part of a quilt and the napkins scattered around the center. Maybe make two quilts if they are different, and use them as wall hangings, maybe one in your dinning area, or as a quilted table cloth. I think that would be so neat to do something like that. I have lots of old hankies that belonged to my grandmother and great grandmother, that I plan (when time permits) to make into a quilt. I want to use them as they are and frame them, problem is there are so many different colors, I have not decided just what color to use with them all. But I will. Good luck in whatever you do with your treasures.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by asmmauer
I used my 35 year old wedding gown to make heirloom Christmas
stockings for my kids, the front bodice of the gown is on my tree skirt I embellished it with lace dollies trims buttons etc. Your napkins and table cloth have endless possibilities.I say go for it!
Would love to see pic. of them. Sounds like a great idea.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:42 PM

I've seen this done often, with very good results.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:43 PM

I saw a pattern in a recent quilt magazine that used linens for the square blocks and then added embroidery and hankie corners and lace edgings to them and made absolutely gorgeous table runners. They were coupled with old timey looking prints and were really attractive. I to have a pile of old linens, doilies, hankies, etc. and I am going to make a few of those. If some of your linens have work spots, just cut around them.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by dutchie
So THAT'S what I can do with my gown! I doubt I'll marry again so the box is just taking up space.

Sue

Originally Posted by asmmauer
I used my 35 year old wedding gown to make heirloom Christmas
stockings for my kids, the front bodice of the gown is on my tree skirt I embellished it with lace dollies trims buttons etc. Your napkins and table cloth have endless possibilities.I say go for it!
Yap!My kids all want the tree skirt to go with stocking It was a way for me to share that special day with them,my gown had a few rust spots on it so knew my daughters wouldn't be able to use. One of the stockings look like and old fashioned high top boot I put the zipper with all the satin covered buttons along edge ,covered rust spots with lace and trims one has arm of dress with ruffled sleeve as top of boot. They all turned out beautiful.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by illinois
I have linen table cloths and matching napkins that belonged to my mother and both grandmothers. Has anyone repurposed these into a quilt or is that a terrible idea? All seem to be in wonderful condition but who uses linen table cloths and napkins in our day of simplicity?! Our foremothers spent hours starching and ironing these. Seems I should come up with some idea that will preserve the fabrics in a more usable way.
I use linen napkins and tablecloths!! As a matter of fact, I am just waiting for them to come out of the washing machine. The easy way to handle them is to wash them immediately after use, and then put the wet tablecloth on the dining room table ...over the pads of course, "hand iron" and by the morning, it is dry and straight. I take the napkins out, smooth them out over each other and let them air dry. (The spots come from the heat of the dryer so I don't put any of it in there.) Sometimes I iron the napkins while damp, sometimes not. If they look too ironed, people don't want to use them. Be more casual with them. Don't really iron them and starch them, etc. My guests always feel special using them and my family always loves the special feel to them as well. Use them. Whatever are we saving all of the "good" things for? No one deserves then more than family and friends.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Hi,

Just go to http://www.cindyneedham.com/schedule...workshops.html and see her works on Heirlome quilting. her trunk show last week was mind boggling. She has CD's for $15 and well worth it. HOLD ONTO ALL OF THOSE TORN, DISCOLORED or UNUSUABLE old table works, doilies, pillow cases. etc. All done on a DSM. Good looking.

Peg-TX
Innova 18"
Old 11-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Dee

Haven't done this, but love the idea.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Kas

My SIL did this for her mom (my MIL) for a 50th wedding anniversary gift. She snatched all the old hankies and linens my MIL was going to toss. They had been her mother's and grandmother's. Thank goodness they were saved. That woman throws out everything. Well, it looked beautiful and of course MIL cried and cried. All those memories she was discarding that Sandy saved for her.

The body of the quilt was regular cotton and heavier decorator fabric with the napkins and such tucked here and there. Very pretty. She had it longarmed.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:47 PM

You're quite right, Phyl. I love my table with a snowy cloth on it. Maybe I'm just being lazy. I think I'll go through all of my table linens stash and sort out what to use for the table and what to re-purpose for quits and whatnot.

Sue

Originally Posted by Phyl
I use linen napkins and tablecloths!! As a matter of fact, I am just waiting for them to come out of the washing machine. The easy way to handle them is to wash them immediately after use, and then put the wet tablecloth on the dining room table ...over the pads of course, "hand iron" and by the morning, it is dry and straight. I take the napkins out, smooth them out over each other and let them air dry. (The spots come from the heat of the dryer so I don't put any of it in there.) Sometimes I iron the napkins while damp, sometimes not. If they look too ironed, people don't want to use them. Be more casual with them. Don't really iron them and starch them, etc. My guests always feel special using them and my family always loves the special feel to them as well. Use them. Whatever are we saving all of the "good" things for? No one deserves then more than family and friends.