Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: loading a quilt on your quilt frame

loading a quilt on your quilt frame

I am going to start quilting a bedspread on my longarm machine but will be leaving on vacation soon for about ten days. If I don't finish it before I leave would it be ok to leave it on the frame for that length of time or would you remove it from the frame and reload it when you were ready to finish it? Thanks for you help

Power Poster
    I think it will be okay on the frame.
    SueDor

I've left them on my frame for a day or so...of course my cats think it's a hammock for them....

Blog Entries
    i've had a quilt on the frame for that long. perhaps you could just loosen the rollers to give it some slack while you're away.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Should be fine. But remember to unplug your machine while you're away. And have a good trip.

I have had a quilt on the frame for a lot longer than that. It will be fine.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't start it if I couldn't finish it. Unless of course it's for yourself. Then do what you want but if it was for a someone else, I would either finish it before going, or wait to begin when you get back.

It should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i've had a quilt on the frame for that long. perhaps you could just loosen the rollers to give it some slack while you're away.
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Should be fine. But remember to unplug your machine while you're away. And have a good trip.
    What QuiltnNan and Dunster said! If you have cats and are afraid they will enjoy the 'hammock'? Put a piece of tin foil over the top. They dont' like the texture or the sound and nap elsewhere! I had the RATTIEST piece of tin foil in my studio for the longest time!

I got sick from a form of chemo and at the time there was a quilt I hated - a charity cheater cloth that wasn't square in the print at all!- on the frame. I finally quilted the thing just to get rid of it almost 2 years later. Of course it took me a while to do the quilting as I was still recovering. Being on the frame certainly didn't hurt the quilt.

I had unplugged the machine when I got sick knowing I wouldn't be using it for quite a while.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    I have had a quilt on the frame for a lot longer than that. It will be fine.
    I have done the same thing and it is not a problem. Maybe you would like to loosen the frame a bit and remove the side clamps. Purely up to you.

Blog Entries
    All the above but I would put a sheet all over to cover,
    Finished is better than a UFO