Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin Designs >

Log Cabin Designs

Log Cabin Designs

Old 07-06-2020, 05:46 PM

what a great meaningful quilt. I like the second layout best.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

It sure is meaningful. But I can't decide! They are both awesome!
Okay, my vote is one
Old 07-06-2020, 10:51 PM

I could have gone further with the designs, I'm considering making the 'knots' into hearts for four distinct reasons. Number one, my niece actually had open heart surgery when she was three months old to repair two holes in her heart, then her first daughter had to go through surgery to repair her heart, though they were able to do it through her femoral artery and she was three years old.

Add her husband, a former Army Ranger with this amazing heart of gold to serve our country after 9/11, but suffered from severe PTSD when his unit was hit with an IED and he lost most of them. He's the sole survivor now, those that did survive and came home, took their lives. When he met my niece, everything changed for him and when they discovered she was pregnant, it was like watching a flower bloom. The light that shines from that man after so much darkness is just breathtaking. He's a stay-at-home dad and absolutely relishes it.

The littlest girl, oh my gosh, want to talk about a cutey but she is completely rotten to the core, and she knows how to work it to her advantage. They were already a family before she came along, but she just completed everyone. She's such a ray of sunshine and just a bundle of pure, magnetic joy with these huge blue eyes and eyelashes that would make super models weep.

They're just a sweet, loving, energetic family that deserves a quilt like this. It wasn't easy in the beginning because of his PTSD, but they dug in and they fought their way out of it. I figure what better way to celebrate the bonds they have, than a quilt made from the heart.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:44 AM

I like the second choice. Like the family it is a blend of log cabin and and Irish chain. Just another little piece to add to your story maybe.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:38 AM

Default Awesome quilts

Love them both as the reason for making the quilt.
However, the first one is my favorite, so unique. You cannot go wrong either design you decide to go with.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:56 AM

The first layout for me is butterflies taking flight together and would be my choice.

The great thing is, whatever you do it will be great! I know that we as quilters try to stitch in all the love and hopes and prayers we can into our projects. Our recipients don't always realize the amount of time we spend thinking of them as we make them, but then they live with them longer after we are done. I would include some part of the story of "this is an original design and what it signifies to me" along with the finished quilt.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:36 AM

Railroadersbrat-Thank you for your inspiring story. It sounds like their life has many blessings and they are thankful for that. Please let us know which pattern you choose but I am sure either one will be treasured by the family.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:09 AM

Love the 'quirkiness' of the first one!
Old 07-08-2020, 05:06 AM

Second pattern