Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin Designs >

Log Cabin Designs

Log Cabin Designs

Old 07-06-2020, 04:20 AM

Default Log Cabin Designs

Okay, so I'm really looking for thoughts and ideas. Just to give a little bit of background, this is for my niece and her family. This is her second marriage, she has a daughter from her first marriage, a daughter from this marriage and her husband just recently officially adopted her first daughter. Since this is a blended family, I decided to put a little oomph and meaning behind the quilt, so here goes my explanation and I hope it makes sense.

I made the logs out of my niece, husband and her first daughter's favorite colors. The squares are done in rainbow colors because her second daughter has anything and everything rainbow. I got the design from Shar Jorgenson's take on log cabins, one is her Sugar & Spice (because trust me, this family is quite an interesting blend of personalities) the other is my take on a lover's knot.

The problem I have is which one I should do. Any thoughts and I'm always open for ideas. One last thing, please excuse the quality of the jpegs if they're off, I had to do a recovery on my laptop last week and I haven't plugged in my usual photo editing program yet.
Attached Thumbnails amber-1.jpg   amber-2.jpg  
Old 07-06-2020, 09:34 AM

I like them both but especially turn to the second one. The pattern reminds me that you are combining two different families and personalities with the squares and blocks criss crossing each other. Hope you understand what I mean but this is what I see after reading your message.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

I like the idea of trying to use significant things/colors from both "eras" of your niece's life.

Probably just me - but both arrangements make me feel a bit "tipsied"
Old 07-06-2020, 10:30 AM

I like the second one....it looks more "blended" to me.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:47 PM

These are mind blowing and what ever you decide are going to be great for this blended family. I love Shar Jorgenson's templates they make making her quilts so much easier.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:08 PM

The first one made me smile because it's different from anything I've seen, and took me a bit to figure it out. Still I prefer the second one because it's more stable -- just like you want their family to be.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:34 PM

After reading your description of the family, I could only go with #1. To me it signifies that each is an individual, but they all come together and celebrate being a part of the whole, and yet remain as individuals. I guess I may be a bit emotional today, because the first design actually brought tears to my eyes since you told us the meaning of why you are making this quilt. The second one is nice but it just doesn't speak to me. It doesn't tell the story. I think you should include their story on a label on the back of the quilt so they will understand the why of the design and the celebration involved.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:17 PM
lum

I also like the first one better.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
After reading your description of the family, I could only go with #1. To me it signifies that each is an individual, but they all come together and celebrate being a part of the whole, and yet remain as individuals. I guess I may be a bit emotional today, because the first design actually brought tears to my eyes since you told us the meaning of why you are making this quilt. The second one is nice but it just doesn't speak to me. It doesn't tell the story. I think you should include their story on a label on the back of the quilt so they will understand the why of the design and the celebration involved.
This^^^. With the exception of crying, I agree with every word.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

The second one is my favorite