Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin Quilts >

Log Cabin Quilts

Log Cabin Quilts

Old 02-24-2012, 04:08 PM

I also paper piece. Doing a whole quilt in log cabin blocks can get tedious and sewing on the lines helps keep me straight.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM

Log cabin was my first quilt. I used the "quilt in a day" pattern (I forget the name of the author of that series?) which basically involved cutting a bunch of strips and then just sewing each pieced portion to a longer strip. I think. I do know that I was hugely intimidated by the whole idea of quilt making until I did that pattern, now since I've done two quilts with that technique I'm no longer intimidated by piecing (just by quilting!)
Old 02-24-2012, 06:52 PM

I just did a Google search for log cabin - and came up with this site: http://www.equilters.com/library/log...bin_part1.html

It is a complete (5 page) tutorial and I had no idea there could be so many pattern combinations out there - it is neat! I have yet to make one but think I may give one of these a try tomorrow. :-)

Marysewfun
Old 02-24-2012, 07:53 PM

I use the QIAD method.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:18 PM

Log cabin is one of my favourites - one of my first quilts, still on my daughter's bed. Love all the variation you can get with different placements, strip widths, shapes.

Our Guild workshop this Feb was a log cabin table runner, using Marti Michell's new ruler. One of our Guild members (also a local LQS owner) attended a day with Marti and now has a whole wall of her rulers in her shop

The rulers have all the markings - both the width of the strip to cut, and the length, so you don't have to do any math. She also recommends cutting all the pieces of the lengthwise grain - parallel to the selvedge (not wof) to reduce stretch - and wonkiness!

The result is very nice - no trimming as you go because everything fits.

The guild workshops are nice - even for long-time quilters - always learn something new! And going back to the basics. One tip from the workshop leader this day - keep a set of 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" strips (very accurately cut) - every sewing session, sew three strips together, press and measure. Should measure exactly 3 1/2 square. If it doesn't, adjust your 1/4" seam (or your pressing technique!) until you're back sewing a perfect 1/4".

Information on the rulers here (no affiliation, but a fan after using the ruler!):
http://frommarti.com/lcrulers.shtml
Old 02-25-2012, 12:33 AM
Izy

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Marysewfun View Post
I just did a Google search for log cabin - and came up with this site: http://www.equilters.com/library/log...bin_part1.html

It is a complete (5 page) tutorial and I had no idea there could be so many pattern combinations out there - it is neat! I have yet to make one but think I may give one of these a try tomorrow. :-)

Marysewfun
That is a great link Mary, I am sure many of us will find this useful!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:47 AM

Because I alway miscut fabric, to long or too short. I use the lay down a single strip and cut to size as I proceed around the square. If you are using a foundation square, it might be easier. And although it might seem like a time consuming first step, make yourself a template of the actual square you want to make and keep it handy. It will be you diagram. If you are using a foundation piece draw line from corner to corner and where the x's meet is where you place you center block. it is the start.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:49 AM

For the life of me, I do not know how this woman ever came up with the title "Quilt-in-a-DAY" unless she didn't eat or sleep for a straight 24 hours. This was the first pattern that caught my eye when I took up quilting after 25 years of a silent sewing machine and I truly thought she meant I could finish it in a day. HA!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 PM

I'm with aunt piggy. I like to paper piece them too. I guess I like the precision
Old 02-25-2012, 01:11 PM

I prefer E. Burns method of sew then trim. I've done both. I do the old measure, cut, sew for a scrap log cabin one. Too much work. I save 2 inch strips for that now.

Yes, do use a diagram. Pretty easy to find on the internet - just type in Log Cabin Diagram.

To get started, decide on what look you want. I followed a style from Jean Wells using golds and tans on the light side, and dark greens and brick reds on the other. Some do blues on one side and whites on the other. If you have a color collection, just post about it. Someone can give you a suggestion to start.