Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm Dilemma >

Long Arm Dilemma

Long Arm Dilemma

Old 09-05-2014, 02:40 PM

Default Long Arm Dilemma

After I load my backing, batting, and quilt top onto my HandiQuilter Avante, (and I really strive to get everything even along the top edge)......I keep the backing taut (not tight) by using the side clips; but after I get about 1/2 way through the quilting, I start noticing that one side of the backing is sagging. I've pulled it back up taut and pinned it in place to the backing bar roll and proceed. So far the end result has been acceptable with no puckers, but after two such episodes, I know it's something in my procedure....at least hopefully something that can easily be corrected . Any suggestions out there? Thanks for your input.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

I'm assuming that the backing was square, since the sag didn't appear when you first loaded it. The first thing I would do is make sure your bars are evenly spaced and level. Also be sure that the centers you marked for the top and bottom of the backing line up. The problem might also be caused by seams in the backing that have more fabric on one side than on the other, or seams with the selvage left on.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:21 PM

In additional to all the suggestions above, if you baste along the sides as you work, it helps to keep everything even. At least that's what works for me.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

Have you made sure your leaders are on evenly and securely? Also when I roll my quilt back on I make sure the leader is rolling on evenly BEFORE it starts rolling the backing, then check it with every complete turn for evenness.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

You don't mention if your backing is a whole wide piece or if it is pieced? If pieced, it helps to have your seam horizontal so it lays flat a
Long the bar , when the seam is vertical it builds up bulk, with every turn in the center, causing floppy sides
Old 09-05-2014, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
You don't mention if your backing is a whole wide piece or if it is pieced? If pieced, it helps to have your seam horizontal so it lays flat a
Long the bar , when the seam is vertical it builds up bulk, with every turn in the center, causing floppy sides
I agree with this Looking forward to find out if the back was pieced
Old 09-05-2014, 09:37 PM

Sometimes quilts just roll up onto the pickup bar unevenly. Sometimes it's the quilt top which is pieced imperfectly. Get in the habit of checking that with each advancement. I stand at one end of the frame and eyeball down the quilt, looking to see if the seams are straight all across. If not, you can "roll" the quilt up tighter where needed along the takeup roller with your hands. You can actually do the opposite, too, by "loosening" the quilt in spots with your hands, working the rolled up quilt on the pickup roller. Hope my description makes sense.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:57 PM

My backing is one solid piece of fabric......no seams. I am careful in loading by walking the length after every couple of turns to make sure there are not wrinkles or bunching on the roll. If I do happen to seam the backing, I also make sure the seam lays on the roll evenly. I am thinking my problem is in the bars. Although the last quilt effort appeared to have extensive sagging, the final result was only off by about 1/2" because I started "working" it back into shape. So.......if the problem is in the bars, how do I correct it? I didn't put the table/bars/leaders together. Also, I have a friend who frequently 'helps' me load her quilts when I do her quilting and I have to remind her often to not lean against the backing bar; could this also be a factor? Thanks for all your input.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

First, I would measure the distance between the backing bar and the take up roller all across the frame and make sure that it's the same. If the rollers are joined, make sure that the joint is tight.
The thing that I've noticed is that if I leave part of the quilt under the machine as I roll, that spot seems to get stretched bit. I have started to roll the machine off to the side before I advance the quilt. When the quilt is too large to do this, I carefully measure every time I advance and try and remember to move the machine each time, right, left center, etc.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:08 AM

So far I agree with everyone else - non straight leaders, lots of piecing on the top etc etc.

I have run into this problem a few times in the past - I could never figure it out. I can usually straighten it out by rerolling the take up roller - but when that does not work - I have unrolled the takeup and laid small pieces of scrap batting on the saggy side and rolled them up in the takeup. Interestingly enough - when the quilts were unrolled they were square and not wavy on the sides. This leads me to believe that it was truly in the wrap on the takeup side.

Good luck!!