Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm Question >

Long Arm Question

Long Arm Question

Old 06-12-2013, 07:08 AM

Default Long Arm Question

I have the opportunity to buy an APQS Millennium 2008 model with compuquilter. I am new to long arm quilting and was actually looking at a Handiquilter. I think this APQS is way too much for me right now. Thoughts? Also, any idea what a good price for this APQS machine would be? The seller wants an offer instead of naming a price. Thanks for your help!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:35 AM

Search ebay and other web sites. Contact an APQS dealer and ask. But in the end you are looking at a major investment of probably $15000 to $20000 or more.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 AM

I can't help with pricing but don't worry about the machine being too much for you. After a bit of practice you will be just fine. Don't buy a low end machine and then think you will upgrade later. It is a bit tough to sell the first machine and get a good price for it.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

I agree with crashnquilt in not worrying about it being too much machine for you if you can get it for a bargain. I am not familiar enough with APQS to know what size (throats) the Millis are.

That said, I think it is highly unusual that someone doesn't want to put a selling price out there especially for a machine that is computer guided. 2008 is only a 5 YO machine so relatively new in my mind. something not quite right that the seller isn't even giving you a ball park but wants you to submit an offer. I would offer her the same price as the HQ you were looking at with no bells or whistles. If you can get it for that price, find someway to get training on the machine and go for it!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:37 AM

yes, I would offer what you would pay for the new or used HQ, which by the way is hardly a low end machine these days depending on the model. Another thing to think about is the support you would receive with either machine.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

Try scanning ads on this website to see what similar setups have sold for (asking price is much less relevant):
http://www.longarmuniversity.com/machines_for_sale.htm
It would at least give you a ballpark.

I don't know if this website puts "sold" on machines, but you can see what people are asking:
http://www.houseofhanson.com/formerlyowned.html

I wouldn't be afraid of buying too much machine.

Edit: I do think you need to ask why the person is selling. Is it to upgrade? Or is she not using the machine. If not using, ask why.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:56 AM

Thank you to all for the input. Along with being new to long arm quilting, I am also new to this site I really appreciate all the thoughts on the APQS.

The seller is moving out of state which is why she is putting it up for sale. All she said is that she paid $30,000 and that she would like me to make an offer. I really like the advice of offering what I would pay for the HQ. Like my husband says - the worst answer I'll get is no.

I'll continue my research into the machine. Thank you again for the ideas!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

I can't help. I would like to welcome you to this wonderful quilt board. Lots of knowledgeable people on here. They all seem willing to help,when they can.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:01 PM

I have this machine without the computer. First longarm machine for me and I found it easy to learn, much more user friendly than other machines I have seen. Go to the APQS web site, there's new and used machines to get an idea of price and they have a great forum for all the advice you need. The APQS forum have used machines advertised. I am so glad I didn't buy something less that I may have regretted later. Maintenance seems to be very easy too.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I have no idea on the price. They are really beautiful machine. I have the Babylock Crown jewel and love it.