Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm question >

Long arm question

Long arm question

Old 10-07-2015, 07:52 AM
ket

Default Long arm question

I want to tackle a quilt on my longarm this weekend and it has a fleece back. I have two questions
1. Do I really need batting. This is really just a throw for the back of a couch and the fleece is pretty nice.
2. Am I going to have trouble with stretching when I load and turn onto my frame and if so how to avoid that.
Thanks so much to all on the board.

KET
Old 10-07-2015, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by ket View Post
I want to tackle a quilt on my longarm this weekend and it has a fleece back. I have two questions
1. Do I really need batting. This is really just a throw for the back of a couch and the fleece is pretty nice.
2. Am I going to have trouble with stretching when I load and turn onto my frame and if so how to avoid that.
Thanks so much to all on the board.

KET
Here is what I do for both fleece and cuddle material....I always pin them with the stretch.....never have the stretch running the way you roll the quilt....I learnt this from this board and other quilting friends...I hope I'm making sense....
Old 10-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

Batting is a personal choice- many people make quilts without-- there is no rule stating you have to use batting.
When you load your backing make sure you Smooth the fleece without pulling/ stretching it. I've fleece backed many quilts, as long as you remember to keep it smooth and just taut without stretching you will be fine. Fleece quilts up nicely
Old 10-07-2015, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Batting is a personal choice- many people make quilts without-- there is no rule stating you have to use batting.
When you load your backing make sure you Smooth the fleece without pulling/ stretching it. I've fleece backed many quilts, as long as you remember to keep it smooth and just taut without stretching you will be fine. Fleece quilts up nicely
just the way I would do it too.