Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm question >

Long arm question

Long arm question

Old 10-09-2010, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Berta48
I am afraid even if I bought one I wouldn't be able to quiltn it as I can't FMQ.
I think I can safely say to you, not being able to FMQ on a domestic, and then trying to freehand on a longarm, are two different things.
I cannot FMQ on a domestic either (to me it's like writing your name while looking in a mirror),
but I love love love to freehand on my "Buddy-Ro." I love him. It's like writing.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
I am afraid even if I bought one I wouldn't be able to quiltn it as I can't FMQ.
I think I can safely say to you, not being able to FMQ on a domestic, and then trying to freehand on a longarm, are two different things.
I cannot FMQ on a domestic either (to me it's like writing your name while looking in a mirror),
but I love love love to freehand on my "Buddy-Ro." I love him. It's like writing.
I totally agree. FMQ on a sit down machine is completely different than it is on a frame. I have a Voyager 17SLR (http://www.hinterberg.com) on a SuperQuilter Pro-Flex frame (http://www.superquilter.com) that I got on ebay for a song because the seller didn't elaborate enough which scared off other bidders. Even on SS/SSDI, it wouldn't take very long to pinch some pennies and hold a couple garage sales to buy a used frame and longer domestic or even stretched midarm if you keep an eye on craigslist, ebay, and the yahoo machine quilting groups.

Before the Voyager/Pro-Flex; I used an Elna 7200 domestic machine on a B-Line Studio frame (http://www.tobequilting.com) for 4 years. Even with the small throat on a domestic machine, you can easily teach yourself FMQ while doing all over meanders.

As for keeping your setup in a barn/shed without heat--it depends. If it's a strictly mechanical system--no LCD screens & you let it warm up, keep it oiled regularly and have sealed a wooden frame--it's doable. I know others who have all their quilting supplies in an unheated shed or attic but they use a portable heater to warm it up before they use their equipment. You'll have more cleaning & maintenance than if it were in your house but it can work.

And yes, there are computer controlled quilting systems but you'd have to pinch those pennies into gold to afford one and those I wouldn't not keep in a shed. I'd give up my living room!

There are some cheaper computer guided systems but still not cheap enough to keep in a shed. I have a PC Quilter (http://www.pcquilter.com) and there are other hobby systems out there--Qbot, Side Saddle, Shirley Stitcher, MQR, etc. but I strongly recommend starting without one first to see if you even like working on a frame. If you don't like all the fuss & bother of loading a quilt--no robot yet invented is going to do that part for you.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:23 AM

Another thought....if you can't afford the system, or are worried about where you'd set it up, check around with the LQS or dealers. I think more and more of them are setting up systems so people can rent time. THAT is very do-able.....MUCH cheaper.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:27 AM

I have a suggestion for you....try FMQ on a Juki or a Mega Quilter that is made by Husqvarna and is around $900....Juki is $700 new. Without a frame you can do the FMQ much more easily than on a machine that does the fancy stitches. These two machines do straight stitch only and once you drop the feed dogs, you can do loops, etc. without much difficulty. I know, I tried on my Kenmore, that is made I believe by Janome and does really nice fancy stitches at a bargain price but my FMQ attempts looked okay on top but the bobbin stitches were never right no matter what I did. One try on the Juki 98 and I was doing FMQ after all that time of practicing and fretting...I was off and running. So for the money, you can get one of those and practice and work without a frame or add a frame later. I'm thinking of doing that. And I see that Janome has a new Horizon that has a longer throat area and it isn't tooooo expensive....I think in the $2,000 plus range. So that's a long way from the $9,000 plus range of some of those machines.....Just a suggestion. I ordered my Juki from a SewNVac dealer online with a money back guarantee and didn't have to pay shipping either.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by mama's place
I have a suggestion for you....try FMQ on a Juki or a Mega Quilter that is made by Husqvarna and is around $900....Juki is $700 new. Without a frame you can do the FMQ much more easily than on a machine that does the fancy stitches. These two machines do straight stitch only and once you drop the feed dogs, you can do loops, etc. without much difficulty. I know, I tried on my Kenmore, that is made I believe by Janome and does really nice fancy stitches at a bargain price but my FMQ attempts looked okay on top but the bobbin stitches were never right no matter what I did. One try on the Juki 98 and I was doing FMQ after all that time of practicing and fretting...I was off and running. So for the money, you can get one of those and practice and work without a frame or add a frame later. I'm thinking of doing that. And I see that Janome has a new Horizon that has a longer throat area and it isn't tooooo expensive....I think in the $2,000 plus range. So that's a long way from the $9,000 plus range of some of those machines.....Just a suggestion. I ordered my Juki from a SewNVac dealer online with a money back guarantee and didn't have to pay shipping either.
That sounds like a more affordable idea to me.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I may never be able to afford any of them. But I can dream and save and we'll see.Right?
Old 10-09-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Another thought....if you can't afford the system, or are worried about where you'd set it up, check around with the LQS or dealers. I think more and more of them are setting up systems so people can rent time. THAT is very do-able.....MUCH cheaper.
Now that I would love.But our LQS doesn't have one.She had one but she sold it.She does have a studio accuquilt and for 5.00 a half hour will cut fabric for you.So that isn't to bad.Beats cutting them yourself or having to buy one.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
another issue besides temperature to keep in mind is humidity; if your garage is not insulated then moisture probably builds up in there too; and it sounds like you want one of the machines with all the bells and whistles; the ones with the computer program(the statler stitcher) costs $30-40 thousand dollars...i would not keep it in the garage. before that kind of investment i'd be building a 'safe-haven' for it.
30-40 thousand dollars :shock: Omy goodness. No there is no way I would put out that kind of money. I don't have that kind of money in the first place living on SS. Geeze I had no idea they cost that much. :shock:
Old 10-09-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
Thanks for all the addresses I'll look them up.

I totally agree. FMQ on a sit down machine is completely different than it is on a frame. I have a Voyager 17SLR (http://www.hinterberg.com) on a SuperQuilter Pro-Flex frame (http://www.superquilter.com) that I got on ebay for a song because the seller didn't elaborate enough which scared off other bidders. Even on SS/SSDI, it wouldn't take very long to pinch some pennies and hold a couple garage sales to buy a used frame and longer domestic or even stretched midarm if you keep an eye on craigslist, ebay, and the yahoo machine quilting groups.

Before the Voyager/Pro-Flex; I used an Elna 7200 domestic machine on a B-Line Studio frame (http://www.tobequilting.com) for 4 years. Even with the small throat on a domestic machine, you can easily teach yourself FMQ while doing all over meanders.

As for keeping your setup in a barn/shed without heat--it depends. If it's a strictly mechanical system--no LCD screens & you let it warm up, keep it oiled regularly and have sealed a wooden frame--it's doable. I know others who have all their quilting supplies in an unheated shed or attic but they use a portable heater to warm it up before they use their equipment. You'll have more cleaning & maintenance than if it were in your house but it can work.

And yes, there are computer controlled quilting systems but you'd have to pinch those pennies into gold to afford one and those I wouldn't not keep in a shed. I'd give up my living room!

There are some cheaper computer guided systems but still not cheap enough to keep in a shed. I have a PC Quilter (http://www.pcquilter.com) and there are other hobby systems out there--Qbot, Side Saddle, Shirley Stitcher, MQR, etc. but I strongly recommend starting without one first to see if you even like working on a frame. If you don't like all the fuss & bother of loading a quilt--no robot yet invented is going to do that part for you.
:thumbup:
Old 10-09-2010, 12:16 PM

No.

Critters, sand, dust, variable moisture=rust, Don't do it.
Thanks doesnt look like I will be getting one any way soon anyway. Shucks :-( :lol:
Old 10-09-2010, 12:39 PM

I only tried once to do any sort of quilting on a DSM, it was a miserable experience! Anyone who can make something beautiful doing quilting on a DSM amazing in my book! I agree with the poster who suggested you rent time on a longarm either at a quilt shop or from a quilter who has one in their home.