Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm Quilter for fun or profit? >

Long Arm Quilter for fun or profit?

Long Arm Quilter for fun or profit?

Old 05-10-2018, 07:29 PM

I'd add that I totally agree with Lyric Girl--when a customer contacts me the first thing we talk about is their turn around time expectation. Next is what type of quilting and costs they are thinking--if either of these is not a fit for me, I also let them know that and give them a referral--like Macy's did in Mircle on 34th Street! I figure that while I may lose a customer, that other quilter is likely to refer to me at times too--and that does happen.
Since this is such "word of mouth" business, I don't want an unhappy customer bad-mouthing me at some guild meeting when it's something that could have been addressed immediately and not lead to disappointment.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:23 PM

Ninab, I have a friend who started with the 9" Juki set up. She learned a lot from using it, including that she would have preferred a larger throated machine. After a couple of years using it, she bought a used Innova 18 inch machine.

If you have the space for a larger machine, at least look into a used set up with larger throat. Also, Grace has a 15 inch throat/frame (Q'nique) set up that might work weil for you and not be much more than your price range.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:48 AM

I got mine for me only , started quilting my friends , Then for a quilt shop . I stopped quilting for the shop they would call and say oh I for got I have a quilt here has to be done in 2 day . I stopped quilting for them . But I do quilt for the women , They come to my home and I do love quilting . I do not custom quilt , only Pantographs . Just don't take on to much . Good luck
Old 05-11-2018, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

I don't have a longarm and don't really want one but if I did I know me too well. I wouldn't want to quilt for other people, no matter what. Having said this I'm glad there are longarmers out there because sometimes I send mine out.
Happy for you that you have one. You'll figure out what works best for you.

Edit- for my purposes the amount of money I spend sending quilts out is well worth the cost. I still hand quilt and am learning FMQ so it's not every quilt that gets sent.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 05-11-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
I always caution people to think carefully about turning a hobby into a business. I did that with another hobby and it took all the fun out of the hobby. It was years before I started to enjoy that hobby again. I started to do the same with quilting and quickly stopped. The pressure of having to meet another persons timeframe just did not work for me.
This is my feeling about making a "job" out of my hobby.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:11 PM

I don't use mine for fun OR profit. I love every part of the quilt-making process EXCEPT the quilting (I'd rather sit and bind all day). I bought a bunch of pattern boards and pantographs just so I could get the things finished in a reasonable amount of time, otherwise I'd have piles of tops just sitting in the closet. Plus, the 7- and 9-year-old grandkids can use the pattern boards and do their own quilting. Whatever encourages them!
Old 05-15-2018, 04:41 AM

Thank everyone, you have given me a lot to think about.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:39 PM

I took free motion quilting as far as I could on my domestic machine. Each time I priced a sit down machine, I could not overcome sticker shock. Finally, the price dropped enough that I was able to purchase it with free financing. Starting a business never entered my mind and it still hasn't. I like doing what I do when I want to do it. More times than not if I make a free motion quilting design mistake, I say oooops and keep on going. Pretty sure that kind of attitude wouldn't make for good business! I have quilted for my sister and she is super easy to please. I'm still learning and am shocked at the learning curve of free motion. Who knew? Anyway, since I wasn't interested in paying someone else to quilt my quilt - owning a longarm seemed to make good sense. I know that I have more than paid for my sit down longarm had I paid someone to quilt my quilts. Glad I made the purchase as it is always good to go and ready for it's next quilt! No business for this gal!