Long arm quilter question - >

Long arm quilter question -

Long arm quilter question -

Old 12-11-2011, 06:27 AM

this is a good tip.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:28 AM

Wish I thought of that!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:30 AM

Very true. I have to make my self do this.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:36 AM

The actual quilting will draw the quilt up somewhat, so it's not too unusual for an unquilted area to be wider than the quilted areas. If you think it's more than this, I suggest measuring through the center of the quilt and use this measurement when loading the top at both ends. You may need to ease it in a bit as you pin. I do sew down the sides as I quilt and am careful when I roll to make certain the quilt is being rolled evenly. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:55 AM

It's entirely possible, even on a new machine, that the leaders aren't even or straight. This will *especially* happen if the frame is out of level. Check the manual for how to make sure it's all straight and level. The other thing to make sure of is that you haven't tightened the rollers down too tight - this can make them bow and can make all kinds of things wonkified. They're supposed to be able to spin fairly freely when they're loose. Stand at one end and look down the length - you'll be able to see if there's a bow in them somewhere. Finally, follow Dawn Cavanaugh's instructions on tugging on the canvas leaders to make them wear evenly - and if ALL else fails and your leaders still aren't even, you can use your horizontal channel lock (it's so nice to have a millie and sew a straight line along the edge of your leader in order to give you a nice even mark to pin them to.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:15 AM

GREAT information - and I don't even have a long arm but will try to remember these experienced hints like a long arm needs to be level...I wouldn't have guessed it important. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:40 PM

Divine machine, I wanted one of those myself, but really didnt want to buy the farm, I just wanted a down payment.
Yes, when LA you add 4-6 inches on all sides, then you dont come up short, say your quilt is like 53 inches..I would go to 60, that makes 4.5 inches on either side to maneuver.
I started on charity quilts too. I think its the best way.
good luck
katz