Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long-arm quilting machine question >

Long-arm quilting machine question

Long-arm quilting machine question

Old 09-23-2016, 06:04 AM

Nothing out there beats a Nolting. A good friend just threaded her old Gammill for a new one and is now trying to get the old one back. Things change. Don't be swept off your feet by hype. I often help at a shop that has 5 different quilting machines. Like I said before----nothing out there beats a Nolting.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:20 PM

Here's another idea, Starling: When I got serious about test driving, I took quilting classes from the dealers. The Innova dealer is a good 90 minutes away, but it was completely worth it to drive down there and take a 5-hour "Beginning Longarmer" class. The awesome thing? The purpose of the class wasn't to sell a machine, it was to teach people who had never longarmed how to operate the machine and how to quilt. There were 5 other quilters there, and we learned how to load the frame, adjust tension, etc. Then the instructor taught us quite a few stitches and tricks, then we progressed to pantos, and then on to working out our own designs. It was GREAT for giving the machine a long and thorough test drive. They had several different machines set up in the classroom and all of us students roamed around, looking and test-driving each other's machines and asking questions about the various accessories. It was nice to hear what other people's thoughts were on the machines they were working with, not to mention looking and being inspired by their work.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Peckish suggestions is spot on. When I first started shopping for a LA I gook a training class so I could be certified to rent the machine. That was on an HQ. In addition to giving you a familiarity with operating one and it definitely gives you a wonderful indication if you will even like LA quilting. Many do not.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:09 PM

I bought a Tin Lizzie 26" for my first machine and I'm so glad I did. It's so important to get good factory support and I was impressed after my experiences with tech support from the Tin Lizzie company. I've had my machine 3 years and it's been a pleasure to operate. I'm ready to sell this one and buy another and I'm planning on buying a Tin Lizzie again, and it will be another 26" as well.

Buy the largest throat space you can afford, you won't be sorry. I went to a quilt show and had the opportunity to test drive all the different brands of long arms. It was my decision to buy a Tin Lizzie after trying all the other brands. Go to a quilt show if you have the chance, it's a great way to view all the machines at once.

Last edited by Christine-; 09-24-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
I bought a Tin Lizzie 26" for my first machine. I'm ready to sell this one and buy another and I'm planning on buying a Tin Lizzie again, and it will be another 26" as well.
I'm kind of confused. You bought a 26" TL and now, only 3 years later, you're replacing it with ANOTHER 26" TL? What's the difference?
Old 09-25-2016, 09:58 PM

Peggi, where did you take the classes on using a long-arm? I see you're in Washington. I'm in Oregon, south of Portland and would love to find a store that offers classes on long-arms.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by oregongirl View Post
Peggi, where did you take the classes on using a long-arm? I see you're in Washington. I'm in Oregon, south of Portland and would love to find a store that offers classes on long-arms.
Boersma's in McMinnville. Capri is a great teacher!

http://boersmas.com/classes/4653947
Old 09-26-2016, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm kind of confused. You bought a 26" TL and now, only 3 years later, you're replacing it with ANOTHER 26" TL? What's the difference?
I want to buy one with a computer on it. The machine I have is a 2010 model and the new computer doesn't work on the 2010 model. I bought a floor model from a dealer in Virginia, who used it as a floor model for 3 years. It's been a dream to use!
Old 09-26-2016, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
I learned on a Nolting funquilter at a store where I worked. When i retired I bought a used HandiQuilter 16 for $5,500 about 3 yrs ago. "Harriet" has not given me any trouble once I figured what threads she liked.

The only other thing is I have not been able to find how to change the LED lights on the front handle bars, but I sew from the back...still I need to work on getting those lights fixed.
What thread does your Handiquilter like??
Old 09-27-2016, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
I learned on a Nolting funquilter at a store where I worked. When i retired I bought a used HandiQuilter 16 for $5,500 about 3 yrs ago. "Harriet" has not given me any trouble once I figured what threads she liked.

The only other thing is I have not been able to find how to change the LED lights on the front handle bars, but I sew from the back...still I need to work on getting those lights fixed.
I feel your pain on replacing that LED light bar--took me a couple of weeks and several phone calls to the tech support on my Gammill--turns out I just had to unplug and pry in out of the handle bars--talk about a tight squeeze!