Long Arm Quilting Question >

Long Arm Quilting Question

Long Arm Quilting Question

Old 06-07-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts View Post
Ditto.........
Ditto x 4!!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:55 PM

If you have 3 or 4 inches of batting and backing on the side of the quilt, cut a strip and put it on top of the batting and use it to test your stitching. You may already know this, but it's an easy way to tell if you are having problems with the thread and to test any adjustments you make. And....DITTO to all of the above! Sorry you're having to take out the stitches....sigh...been there!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:09 PM

On a longarm, you don't lower the presser foot so that isn't her problem. I donthave a ton of experience yet, but I set my bobbin case tension first.i use a towa gauge and pretty much know that my magic number is 180 for tension but you can do the drop test and hold the thread in one hand and the bobbin should slowly drop like a spider from a spider web. Then I just use some practice fabric and adjust the top tension till i like what I see stitch wise. I run my fingernail under the backing on the bobbin thread to intermittently check my stitches. Your fingernail should not catch the thread it should move freely on the stitching line with no catches if that makes any sense.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:50 AM

I guess that depends on your definition of a longarm. I have an 18" WOW, which I consider a longarm, and it DOES have a presser foot lever. I have a friend with a Voyager, it has a presser foot lever. I know quite a few quilters who consider anything on a frame a longarm, and their 9" machines have presser feet that lift. The OP doesn't specify what kind of machine she has, so it's entirely possible she has a machine that needs to have the presser foot lowered.

Last edited by Peckish; 06-08-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I guess that depends on your definition of a longarm. I have an 18" WOW, which I consider a longarm, and it DOES have a presser foot lever. I know quite a few quilters who consider anything on a frame a longarm, and their 9" machines have presser feet that lift. The OP doesn't specify what kind of machine she has, so it's entirely possible she has a machine that needs to have the presser foot lowered.
I could be mistaken, but I don't think there is a Gammil Longarm that has a presser foot!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:08 AM

It would be helpful to know what machine you have. As noted, some have presser feet to lower, some don't, some hve rotary tension, some have tension discs, etc.

If I have loops on the back I check that my checkspring is set correctly. Not sure if you have one, but watch it while sewing to see if it's bouncing back into position as it should.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 AM

It is most likely your tension. Signature thread is great, probably not that. When I first started after a few quilts I put a large muslin sandwich on the LA and worked with different threads and tensions. I did this for two whole days, but when I finished I had a much better understanding of the thread tension relationship. If you do not have a Towa (sp) tension tester consider buying one. They make finding the correct tension soooo much easier.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:56 AM

And if all of the above fails to cure the problem................... I had trouble last fall with my longarm. I could stitch a straight line, never change the bobbin or top tension and would have sporadic bad stitching. If yours is doing this (meaning, if it's not when you just do loops), then get a new bobbin case!! I went thru a nightmare trying to figure it out. My old bobbin case had a piece that was supposed to be straight/flat. Mine tilted....the thread would go thru this area and was fine, then it would slip into the tight area and not be good, then back again. It was a bear to figure out! (meaning I cried a lotta tears!). Good luck!
Old 07-05-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by spokanequilter View Post
And ditto again..... also, I have found that I get loops on the bottom if I'm moving the machine too fast for the stitch speed... I have a tendency to move faster going around a loop...
Ditto x's three I have a big tendency to move to fast esp when I am do meandering free motion on a LA I go so it to that I go to fast. Love to quilt whenever all things are good. MY problem too is making sure the thread is in between the disc on top, also remember to check for lint in the tension disc carefully. I try to make sure I start on a practice piece first. Have a good time with your quilting!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:39 PM

I had problems once with my machine that it took me a long time to figure out. I threaded, rethreaded, changed the needle, cleaned, cleaned and oiled. Finally since everything else had been done, I changed the thread. Problem went away and (knock wood) hasn't resurfaced. Every once in awhile you can get a bad spool. It was a quality thread, and the only mfg. I use. I emailed the mfg and they sent me a new one. Great customer service.

Agree on lowering the presser foot. And, slow down. I don't have my machine set to full speed and that helps a lot.