Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: long arm quilting

I made a broken crayon quilt....took it to the quilting lady.....got it back and she did a beautiful job.....but....she put it on her long arm wrong and the quilting is going from top to bottom instead of left to right.... does it really matter???? looks odd but i wasnt sure...so when i put the binding on it and finish it will it look funny to see the design going from top to bottom insead of sideways...just asking?

Is it a design that has a definite up/down/sideways? Please post a picture. Sometimes I do this if it is a design that has no specific direction.

Does it matter....it matters if she didn't do as she was instructed. It will still function just as well and keep someone warm. But, if not done correctly, she should have offered you a discount? I would seriously consider going elsewhere unless you don't mind having your quilts quilted backwards or upside down.

yes we'd like to see it please

It depends on the pattern that she followed. If its something that has a definite top to it then it will make a difference. But what she was doing was making it less passes, I do that all the time with my smaller quilts. and you can't even notice.

Blog Entries
    I agree with everything said. Also, if there is a seam on the back that goes top to bottom--I will sometimes do this so that the seam will go across the bars and will not make a big lump on one spot on the bar.

I have yet to load a quilt sideways to save myself making extra passes. It is just my preferrence. I have heard of quilters doing this but I like my pattern left to right and not up and down on the quilt. She should have discussed this with you before hand and you should make it a point to tell her you are dissappointed in her doing it this way. If you don't tell her she will always do it this way. she would probably give you a discount if you let her know you are unhappy with it.

the broken crayon squares goes from right to left the quilt lady turned it so u see her quilting up and down. the quilt is setting the right way when i took these pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty quilt -- I don't think the quilting direction makes any
    difference on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by needles3thread
    Pretty quilt -- I don't think the quilting direction makes any
    difference on this one.
    I agree, but I would make sure to talk with her about your preference on any future quilts. I like the quilt. :)

ok thanks for the input. I figured you were suppost to go left to right accross the blocks. but it doesnt matter to me as im the one useing it.

thanks I live in a little town and this lady does queen size quilts with fiber batting for 27.00 you supply the back...cant beat it.....

Blog Entries
    Pretty, and you can't beat that price!

I think the quilting shows more and personally like it.

Love the quilt and I believe the LA looks good on this one. I would ask her to be more careful in the future.

Some patterns have a particular direction, others don't. If you have a specific preference, you should make sure she gets it in writing before you leave the quilt with her. Good communication beforehand is the trick!

Blog Entries
    I agree that it could have been done a little more carefully by only doing the center of the quilt the way it was done but I think the same design used in the borders and placed in the correct direction would have been nicer looking. It does look acceptable though as it is and I agree with the others, now that you have seen her work, you need to give her some feed back so she can improve her skills and you can be happier with her work.

Fabulous price, my former LA charged by the square inch and it cost over a $100 for a twin sized quilt. At that price, I decided it was time for me to buy my own long arm :)

Beautiful quilt!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I agree with everything said. Also, if there is a seam on the back that goes top to bottom--I will sometimes do this so that the seam will go across the bars and will not make a big lump on one spot on the bar.
    I always make my back so the seam goes sideways otherwise you get a wavy line because when you load it the lump is thick and will not stay straught

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Wade
    thanks I live in a little town and this lady does queen size quilts with fiber batting for 27.00 you supply the back...cant beat it.....
    OH my-that is almost free.it takes hrs to do a queen top

Blog Entries
    one of the things about long arm quilting---which should be discussed with you before you piece your backing-is
    if there is one seam on your backing it should be horizontal---not vertical-
    when it is horizontal (which is probably why she loaded it sideways) the seam lays nice and flat across one of the bars- turns evenly keeps everything nice and straight
    if the seam is vertical with each turn of the roller right in the center you get 4 layers of fabric---building-building building--when its small (only a few turns not too big a deal- if its a large quilt by the time it is rolled up the center where those layers are growing can be 10" thick- with 40 times less fabric on the outside edges...causing baggy sides- which can be quite difficult to keep from puckering-causing problems-
    when someone brings me a quilt with a back seamed vertically i do explain and show them the problem- and we discuss how it will be dealt with- when possible i do turn them- if the design will not allow turning---sometimes they have to take the back and start over- sometimes we deal with it---but i ALWAYS tell a new customer before i get that first quilt how their backing should be pieced.

Thanks for the info...I will know from now on how to place the back and tell her which side is the top...

Blog Entries
    Doesn't matter one way or the other! Nice quilt!
    peace

Blog Entries
    I think both the quilt and quilting are pretty non-directional. Looks great!!
    Next time you know to tell her which way you want the quilting to run if you have a preference.

Blog Entries
    Very pretty and I agree the quilting design direction does not spoil the quilt. When my customers come to put their quilts on to my LA I always remind them to think if the quilt has a 'top' or direction they want to use.
    Yours is a lovely quilt!

It's beautiful. She did a great job on your lovely quilt. I also love the price.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast