Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm quilting thread >

Long arm quilting thread

Long arm quilting thread

Old 07-21-2019, 06:55 AM

I'm a fan of Glide thread. My machine runs beautifully with it. However, it does have a slight (and I think, unnoticeable) sheen that Maxilock doesn't have.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:20 AM

My sewing store recommended Innovatech Thread. I finally ran out of quilting thread and purchased 2 cones. I absolutely love it! Less lint and it does quilt like "butter"!
Old 07-21-2019, 09:32 AM

Yes, the Maxilock runs very well on my Gammill. (I do not use other brands of serger thread, only Maxi). I have heard that Pam Clarke uses serger thread (hope I am not spreading a rumor here). I have used Maxilock when quilting charity quilts because the cost of the serger thread is less than the thread I purchase for myself, such as King Tut.). I think most people that quilt charity quilts provide the thread like I do.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

A cone of Innovatech Thread was included in the goody bag at a machine quilting class. It was the thread recommended by the instructor as frustration free. It looked great on the samples I saw. I haven't used it yet but the ones who used it in class liked it a lot. I am a thread junkie. I love thread.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

I agree with ckcowl. I have used MaxiLock thread on my APQS for 21 years and have not had a problem with it. I have also used some more expensive brand of threads, and they broke for me, so I basically stick with the MaxiLock. But some machines might not accept it as mine does. My longarm is 21 years old, and I have quilted many quilts on it over the years.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:19 PM

Machinelady "Why would the speed of the longarm affect the maxi lock. The serger has a much higher speed or at least mine does, There is no way I could quilt at the speed that the serger runs."

I agree that the speed of a serger is much faster than the longarm but you are combining three, four, and sometimes five threads for a seam with the serger and that makes a very strong seam as opposed to only two threads on the longarm. As with everything it boils down to personal choice and that is why a question like this will get as many different opinions as there are quilters. Personally I would not use serger thread for quilting.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
Machinelady "Why would the speed of the longarm affect the maxi lock. The serger has a much higher speed or at least mine does, There is no way I could quilt at the speed that the serger runs."

I agree that the speed of a serger is much faster than the longarm but you are combining three, four, and sometimes five threads for a seam with the serger and that makes a very strong seam as opposed to only two threads on the longarm. As with everything it boils down to personal choice and that is why a question like this will get as many different opinions as there are quilters. Personally I would not use serger thread for quilting.
I did a search for stitches per minute on sergers, and most that I found topped out at about 1300 spm. My longarm sews at more than twice that at 3000 spm.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:39 AM

Default Wow

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I did a search for stitches per minute on sergers, and most that I found topped out at about 1300 spm. My longarm sews at more than twice that at 3000 spm.
3000 spm / 10 spi = 300 inches per minute. Or 5 inches per second. That is laying down some thread.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:29 AM

When I bought my longarm the tech said to only use good thread. I've been using King Tut. No problems.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:18 AM

Serger thread is not strong enough. I used it once and I am still unquilting that queen size quilt. The stitches kept popping and creating toe catchers.