Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm >

Long arm

Long arm

Old 05-07-2012, 02:00 PM

I have a short arm on a frame, and am very happy with it. I bought it second hand, but it still cost me over $2500. I can't do large motifs, but I can do plenty of great designs that hold my quilts together sufficiently. A long arm quilting setup is not REQUIRED quilting equipment...it's really a luxury that relatively few quilters can afford.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:37 PM

[QUOTE=Quiltaddict;5200087]I don't have a long arm either, but I DO NOT want one. Do you realize how many quilts you can pay to get quilted for you for the cost of a long arm. And you don't have to do the work. I have no room for one anyway and don't really want to learn how to do it.[/QUOTE

I would love to have a long arm...and I intend to get one in the next couple of years. It is on my list after I get a new embroidery machine. Yes....one could pay to have several quilts quilted for the amount of a long arm but the convenience of it is what I am looking for. I do not like having to schedule months in advance to get a quilt long-armed. I like instant gratification....when I finish piecing a top, then I am ready to get it quilted right away. I hate like everything being put on a list for 3 or 4 months out.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:39 PM

Many of us on here to not own long-arms. I dream of owning one someday, but that day is a long way off. I quilt all my own quilts on my domestic size Bernina ( and Pfaff before that)

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:30 PM

I quilted, both hand and DSM, for forty years before I bought a LA...now the only thing I wish is that I had bought one when they first came out! I have a Gammill, and I love, love, LOVE!!!! it! Space? Not too much of a problem; all depends on if you REALLY need somewhere to sit other than the dining room table, and if you REALLY need somewhere to walk besides the narrow path you have laid out beside the LA...haha! Kidding, of course, but it really is nice to have that big machine to use when I need it. Would I buy it again? In a heartbeat!
Old 05-07-2012, 04:52 PM

I don't have one. No room for one.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:08 PM

There's no way I would get a LA. Just the thought of all the ripping-out of stitches, I'd have to do, makes my head spin!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:23 PM

nope I am right there with you, need a car more lol!!! would have to trade it in for a longarm, come to think of it most cost more than my car?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltaddict View Post
I don't have a long arm either, but I DO NOT want one. Do you realize how many quilts you can pay to get quilted for you for the cost of a long arm. And you don't have to do the work. I have no room for one anyway and don't really want to learn how to do it.
I am totally with you on that one. Used to think I wanted one but it is alot of work to load a quilt and do all the associated work and then the learning curve to using a LA.

Watch the LEAH DAY videos. She shows how to use a DM with fabulous results. And the really big quilts, splurge on a LAQ. I have sent a few out recently and have been really happy with the results. Much cheaper than buying a machine too.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:08 AM

I had a short arm setup but now that I had to move to a small place I have it for sale cheap on my local Craigslist. I wish someone would buy it!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:25 AM
Banned

I have one and love it. I have the computer system with designs to use also. We did have to convert the basement den into my quilt studio to fit it. But we weren't using that room for anything special anyway. Now I have the room to sew, quilt, longarm and with a little moving of furniture to even teach a class or two. Love being able to work on mine and other people's quilts. I will be doing some longarm work for our guild's charity quilts later this summer. Several of us in the guild have longarms which comes in handy.
I had done just one large quilt on my regular sewing machine and knew I wanted a longarm or else I was never going to make a large quilt again. Even though I could send them out, I like the control I have to do what I want, especially with the computer system designs. So much detail available there.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie