Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
long arm thread >

long arm thread

long arm thread

Old 03-01-2016, 03:30 PM

There are serger threads of widely different quality. Maxi-lock is what I use on my serger, and it is a low to middle quality thread. If I take a piece and look carefully, it is not evenly spun. I was taught in my serger classes that I should use a quality sewing thread on the innermost needle since serger thread wasn't strong enough. I know higher quality serger thread does exist from such companies as Superior Threads, but I haven't used it.

If if you think about using serger threads, look carefully at the thread for evenness, pull it hard to check for strength, and think about how much you save. Is it really worth it to save $3-5 (at most!) on a quilt that took you hours to piece and another set of hours to quilt?

Pam
Old 03-01-2016, 11:06 PM

Many or the serger threads are polyester that tend to be pretty strong. I like to use cotton Aurifil on my HQ but I only have about 10 colors. Since each Aurifil cone is over $30, I can't afford to have all the colors i need. So I have been using Maxi-lock which is 100% polyester and it does not break any more often that the Aurifil.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:07 PM

I stick with the Sew Fine Threads from Superior Threads. It comes in several different weights. Having used serger thread for regular sewing, I would think it would be very linty for quilting. I find using their prewound bobbins also worth the price. If I want a bolder look I use Glide Thread by Fil-Tec. It has a little shine to it. They also have a prewound bobbin but it works a little differently. It has a magnetic core and you must remove the check spring from your bobbin case.