Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do? >

Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do?

Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:17 PM

So, did you get this worked out yet?
And how much did you pay to get this queen sized quilt quilted? $50, including the batting?
Old 12-18-2010, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by ljsunflower
So, did you get this worked out yet?
And how much did you pay to get this queen sized quilt quilted? $50, including the batting?
Just curious. Where could you get a queen sized quilt done for $50 including the batting?
Old 12-18-2010, 09:57 AM

I may get a slap in the face for this post, BUT, I genuinely feel this needs to be said.

1.) There are two sides to each and every story. Before anyone passes judgement, shouldn't you know the other side? In a court case a person is innocent until proven guilty, I think the same should apply to the longarmer.

2.) I would need to see the ACTUAL damage of the quilt before I could rightfully accuse the longarmer.

There are so many variables to the situation that need to be known. How was the quilt returned? Was the quilt in a box or large shipping envelope? How was the item opened when received? What condition was the shipping containment on arrival?

The poster said, "It looks to me like the needle on the long-arm machine got stuck and the fabric ripped when she tried to dislodge it." Whenever I have had a needle become lodged in a quilt, I don't move the machine to get the needle out. Very few longarmers will leave the needle in the quilt and move the quilt to another position because of the possibility of a rip. (most all of us have learned that lesson the hard way)

Some posters here have an attitude of "What do you expect for that amount of dollars?" Regardless of the price, this is what the longarmer actually contracted.

Maybe the longarmer did see the hole, attempted to make contact with the piecer and did not receive replys to emails? I have had this happen. I had a quilt on the frame, found a problem with the quilt, and emailed the piecer. One of the blocks was turned the wrong way. It was 3 days before I heard from them. Well, by that time I had already quilted over the offending block. I sent the quilt back and the piecer was upset with ME for the misplaced block and stopped payment on her check.

I'm not here to gain any sympathy, I just really want folks to see the whole picture before hanging the person.

There are a few things to take into consideration BEFORE sending your quilt out to be quilted:

Does your quilt lay flat? Are the seams straight? Are the intersections proper lined up? Is there any fullness anywhere? (that is a nightmare withing itself for a longarmer) Do the borders actually fit the quilt? Is there any "cupping" within the blocks?

The reason I post these questions is because when it gets to the longarmer, after quilting these problems really show up! It's the longarmer that will be blamed for these errors, but it actually is due to the piecing of the quilt, not the quilting of the quilt.

Yes, I am a longarm quilter. I am not perfect by any stretch of the word. I am always open to CONSTRUCTIVE critism. I am not saying the longarmer is or is not at fault. I just want the complete story.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:44 PM

I would let the longarmer know that if she does fix the quilt in a appropriate manner to suit the rest of the quilt, that you will be posting her business name among your quilting group and this could greatly affect her business. Word of mouth is the best advertising for a long arm quilter. Dough Dough
Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
I may get a slap in the face for this post, BUT, I genuinely feel this needs to be said.

1.) There are two sides to each and every story. Before anyone passes judgement, shouldn't you know the other side? In a court case a person is innocent until proven guilty, I think the same should apply to the longarmer.

2.) I would need to see the ACTUAL damage of the quilt before I could rightfully accuse the longarmer.

There are so many variables to the situation that need to be known. How was the quilt returned? Was the quilt in a box or large shipping envelope? How was the item opened when received? What condition was the shipping containment on arrival?

The poster said, "It looks to me like the needle on the long-arm machine got stuck and the fabric ripped when she tried to dislodge it." Whenever I have had a needle become lodged in a quilt, I don't move the machine to get the needle out. Very few longarmers will leave the needle in the quilt and move the quilt to another position because of the possibility of a rip. (most all of us have learned that lesson the hard way)

Some posters here have an attitude of "What do you expect for that amount of dollars?" Regardless of the price, this is what the longarmer actually contracted.

Maybe the longarmer did see the hole, attempted to make contact with the piecer and did not receive replys to emails? I have had this happen. I had a quilt on the frame, found a problem with the quilt, and emailed the piecer. One of the blocks was turned the wrong way. It was 3 days before I heard from them. Well, by that time I had already quilted over the offending block. I sent the quilt back and the piecer was upset with ME for the misplaced block and stopped payment on her check.

I'm not here to gain any sympathy, I just really want folks to see the whole picture before hanging the person.

There are a few things to take into consideration BEFORE sending your quilt out to be quilted:

Does your quilt lay flat? Are the seams straight? Are the intersections proper lined up? Is there any fullness anywhere? (that is a nightmare withing itself for a longarmer) Do the borders actually fit the quilt? Is there any "cupping" within the blocks?

The reason I post these questions is because when it gets to the longarmer, after quilting these problems really show up! It's the longarmer that will be blamed for these errors, but it actually is due to the piecing of the quilt, not the quilting of the quilt.

Yes, I am a longarm quilter. I am not perfect by any stretch of the word. I am always open to CONSTRUCTIVE critism. I am not saying the longarmer is or is not at fault. I just want the complete story.
You won't get a slap from me . . . quite the contrary. And yes I am a longarm quilter. Some of the responses to this thread have been quite disturbing. If I were just starting out my business I would wonder what I was getting myself into. Stop and think about the risk and liability we take on to finish people's quilts. I don't think any of us get into this business, which by the way is a big investment, to ruin people's quilts. Complaints and concerns are always welcome with me. I tend to close my ears when people are rude and nasty.

I probably sound crabby myself. I'm under deadlines for Christmas to get things done for customers who got projects to me a little late. I do this becase I care and I understand that life happens and their gifts are special. Most of us aren't in the business to ruin quilts. To hear threats to ruin a person's business is very disheartening, especially this time of year.

With that said, I sincerely wish all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Zebra2
Originally Posted by crashnquilt

You won't get a slap from me . . . quite the contrary. And yes I am a longarm quilter. Some of the responses to this thread have been quite disturbing. If I were just starting out my business I would wonder what I was getting myself into. Stop and think about the risk and liability we take on to finish people's quilts. I don't think any of us get into this business, which by the way is a big investment, to ruin people's quilts. Complaints and concerns are always welcome with me. I tend to close my ears when people are rude and nasty.

I probably sound crabby myself. I'm under deadlines for Christmas to get things done for customers who got projects to me a little late. I do this becase I care and I understand that life happens and their gifts are special. Most of us aren't in the business to ruin quilts. To hear threats to ruin a person's business is very disheartening, especially this time of year.

With that said, I sincerely wish all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
If I was in business as a longarmer it would be very tempting to make a list from this topic of all the people ready to jump on the "grab the pitchforks and round up the villagers" bandwagon and refuse to do business with them.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:23 PM

I would suggest putting Fray-Check or similar product on the tear front and back to keep it from fraying more and then applique a new section over it. Maybe put your label over it tear on the back.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 PM

I've been waiting to see a picture of the hole. And whether you have called the longarmer?
What has happened with this situation?
Inquiring minds want to know! LOL
Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by kateyb
I would suggest putting Fray-Check or similar product on the tear front and back to keep it from fraying more and then applique a new section over it. Maybe put your label over it tear on the back.
This is what I did and appliqued within the meandering outline on the lining. I'm the only one knows unless I point it out. I was really bothered at first and told only a few close friends. I'm over that now and have bigger fish to fry! In the grand scheme of things - no one will care 100 years from now:) I never asked for a break in the price nor made a big squalk-wouldn't take the hole away, so....I'll be doing my own quilting when I get the time...
Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 PM

I don't know. Maybe it's just me but this whole situation seems hinky to me.
The OP comes on here & tells us her quilt has been 'ruined', others want to practically bankrupt this longarmer (that no one knows for sure made a hole in the quilt) & the OP comes back with one post since then???
I know I am a cynical person but doesn't anyone else think it's a bit strange??
There's been some very pertinent questions asked of the OP but she's not answering anything. Hello? Where are you?