Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do? >

Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do?

Long-Armer Ruined my Quilt -- What to do?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by ljsunflower
I don't know. Maybe it's just me but this whole situation seems hinky to me.
The OP comes on here & tells us her quilt has been 'ruined', others want to practically bankrupt this longarmer (that no one knows for sure made a hole in the quilt) & the OP comes back with one post since then???
I know I am a cynical person but doesn't anyone else think it's a bit strange??
There's been some very pertinent questions asked of the OP but she's not answering anything. Hello? Where are you?
Kinda wondering myself, considering the inflammatory stuff posted about this situation.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:19 PM

Looks like a hit and run! :)
Old 12-21-2010, 06:24 AM

I am a longarm quilter and oh yes it does happen. I rip a hole in My DIL first quilt I cried but I call her had her look @ it then I fix it with a piece of the material that match .I first basted it in place w/505 spray then took it to my reg machine added a peice of quilt design to corner block then did the same on all corner so it would match. Been lucky since then haven't rip a clients quilt but if I do it would be the same process only she/he would get a discount price o the job and a BIG I"M SO SORRY> Sewing & Quilting is like a Badge of Honor its your Word .
Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 AM

I, too, would really like to know how this turned out, and to see a before and after picture on your repair. It would certainly be a help to those who have a rip or tear in the future.

I know this thread has been an education to those of us who quilt for others. Not just in how to work with our customers, but in how some people actually view LA quilters. It has certainly been an education for me. I've never actually seen this kind of hostility toward those of us who are providing this service.

Our job as professional quilters is to help your quilt top tell it's story. We work WITH you to give you the quilting that YOU want. Some people just want the quilting to hold the quilt sandwich together, others want the WOW! factor. Part of being a professional is to be able to communicate with our customers. And to understand that not all customers are a good fit for our business.

Sadly, not all LA quilters that are in business are professionals. We're working with $1000's worth of equipment and supplies. If someone is willing to quilt a queen size quilt for $50, she's 1) not going to be in business long because she's not even covering her costs and/or 2) she's not spending much time or care on your quilt. I'm also an accountant, and I've run the numbers. You don't get into this business to get rich - most of us just want to make a living or supplement our households doing what we love.

Again, this whole topic just makes me sad.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:51 AM

OK you all say report everyone to the Better Business Bureau when things like this are posted.

How many of you check with the BBB on a DAILY basis before doing business? I doubt many. You use word of mouth, advertising, convenience.

If the business is not a member of the BBB, which most are not, filing a complaint is a waste of your time. All that happens is the BBB calls the business, requests MONEY from the business (to join the BBB) so the BBB can mediate the issue. If the business does not respond to this extortion, there are no consequences.

Same thing for the Chamber which is a trade or political organization to protect BUSINESS rights.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ljsunflower
I don't know. Maybe it's just me but this whole situation seems hinky to me.
The OP comes on here & tells us her quilt has been 'ruined', others want to practically bankrupt this longarmer (that no one knows for sure made a hole in the quilt) & the OP comes back with one post since then???
I know I am a cynical person but doesn't anyone else think it's a bit strange??
There's been some very pertinent questions asked of the OP but she's not answering anything. Hello? Where are you?
Look on pg 7 she did respond. I still think, that the quilter should have communicated EVEN if she did or did not do the damage. Courtesy goes a long way, and lets not be so quick to start "stowing thrones"! :-)
Old 12-21-2010, 03:51 PM

"& the OP comes back with one post since then???"

I said she had come back with one post since then. But she's not giving any more details. Where is she? Since we're only getting one side of the story, we really don't know what happened or has happened since she first posted.
And I do believe she's the one who started throwing stones or 'stowing thrones'.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:55 PM

She hasn't posted anything on the board at all since the 14th. Maybe she's not one that comes here every day or is busy with the holiday stuff.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Also, she was complaining about something that had happened to her and asked for advice. I don't get how that is any more throwing stones than when any of us complain about getting bad service, etc.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:59 PM

so who IS throwing stones? I didn't see anyone 'throwing stones' besides the ones who were wanting to pretty much run the longarmer out of business.
Others here are wanting to know more about what the hole looked like (pics)& how she fixed it, whether the longarmer has been in touch or whether the OP called her to do the complaining.