Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm Bobbin Winders ??? >

Longarm Bobbin Winders ???

Longarm Bobbin Winders ???

Old 06-08-2014, 07:19 AM

Default Longarm Bobbin Winders ???

I have a Viking MegaQuilter 18 that uses size M bobbins. While my machine does have a bobbin winder I would really like to get a separate unit so that I can fill several bobbins before starting a quilt. Does anyone have any recommendations for good stand alone units, or warnings about which ones Not to get?

I found this one while searching online:

http://fancyquilt.com/store/viewitem.php?productid=0

At $99, it seems a bit pricy. Does anyone own this particular machine and have any comments good or bad?

Also, are all size M bobbins the same? I wanted to order a few extras since I only have about 4 or 5 that came with the machine. Where is the best place to order them?

Thanks,

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-12-2018 at 07:11 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 06-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Size M bobbins are definitely Not all the same, although I *think* they are the same size. Some are steel, some are aluminum; some have holes in the sides, some don't; some have knurling to help the thread grip, some don't. Some longarms are happy with just about any bobbin, and others are fussier. If your machine is happy with the style bobbins you now have, it would probably be better to continue with that style than to try out something different.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-13-2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 06-08-2014, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Debbie, that's the one I have. I also have the same model Viking. I Love the winder. The bobbins come out smoothly and evenly wound. I'm getting pretty good at estimating the number I will use for a project. I wind them all at the start and have them at the ready.
I got my bobbins here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Pcs-M-SI...aac8c#ht_0wt_0

There have been one or two bobbins from the batch of 100 that didn't seem to be balanced, so I discarded them, but you can't beat the price. I also like the ones with the hole so you can more easily start the winding process. the same ebay store also carries the ones without the winding hole if you prefer.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-13-2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 06-08-2014, 10:18 AM

I have and HQ bobbin winder. If it did not come with the machine, I would not have bought it for the MRSP of $299. That said, it is pretty good winder, but that said, i have not tried any other winders. on mine, You can set the tension so it can wind looser or tighter. When it comes to bobbins, my machine hates the pre wound cardboard bobbins. If you find a good deal, buy a bunch because they do deteriorate especially if you do not have a good, reliable winder. A bobbin wound up too tight a few times will start bulging and throw off your stitches. I go through mine quite often and discard all the suspicious ones.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:34 PM
yel

i got a bobbin winder with my innova...it winds the m 's.....you could call them and ask ......or i sometimes use the sidewinder
Old 06-08-2014, 01:41 PM

Location: San Isidro de San Ramon, Costa Rica & Calgary, Canada

I have a Viking Platinum 16 and it did come with an off machine winder. As that is the case, then surely Husqvarna Viking should have one available for sale. I would inquire.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:18 PM

I have the same quilter you have. I use a Simplicity Deluxe SideWinder Portable Bobbin Winder that I bought on sale at JoAnn's. I've used it for 3 or more year and I've never had any problems with it or the tension of the bobbins on my machine. Good luck ;-)
Old 06-09-2014, 05:27 AM

that does not seem high for a long arm-mid arm bobbin winder. You could check out the price at any of the longarm manufactures web sites
Old 01-13-2018, 08:43 AM

Default bobbin winder

Originally Posted by kydeb View Post
I have the same quilter you have. I use a Simplicity Deluxe SideWinder Portable Bobbin Winder that I bought on sale at JoAnn's. I've used it for 3 or more year and I've never had any problems with it or the tension of the bobbins on my machine. Good luck ;-)
will it fill size M bobbins
Old 01-13-2018, 08:56 AM

all bobbins are not the same. If you find the ones that work for you always get the same ones. I have ordered from the internet and they had on the page it would fit well guess I couldn't agree with it. they will go on but they don't wind up right. Some were too loose and some would be too tight to even go on the winder.