Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm for diagonal straight line quilting? >

Longarm for diagonal straight line quilting?

Longarm for diagonal straight line quilting?

Old 03-28-2022, 04:55 AM

Thanks all, very much indeed. I agree that being in the UK and the huge cost are going to be drawbacks! @Peckish Thanks for the insight into difficulty of rulers and horizontal quilting on a high-end longarm... I think I can probably discount a LA as a solution for now - it's not that it can't be done or wouldn't help (channel lock definitely would help with vertical/horizontal lines) but that the huge investment coupled with the fact that it won't solve my diagonal problems I think means I'll be as well buying and trying the Juki TL-2200 or the newer TL-2300 (the TL-18 is available only in the States I think.)

There never is a perfect solution, is there :-D!
Old 03-28-2022, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

I haven't found it difficult to make diagonal lines with a ruler on my longarm, an Innova. I don't have a computerized system, and I don't have the electric channel locks. I put clips on the carriage to force the machine into either horizontal or vertical motion.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:48 PM

My long arm has computer assist and it does have a diagonal channel lock function. I haven't used it, but it would be limited to the space the throat allows you to travel and you would end up rolling the quilt alot,,, and I mean, alot to get long diagonal lines quilted.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:56 PM

Or, you could use a walking foot on the Juki. Lot less expensive.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:20 PM

I have a brother PQ1500 which is similar to the Juki TL2200 It has a 9” throat and I have it mounted on a Grace SR2 frame which is obsolete but they have the QZone queen frame now which looks very similar. I do a lot of forward/reverse and diagonal quilting all the time. I do not have any channel locks. I do use a 8” ruler for long diagonal lines. I have found that over time I can do shorter lines without even using a ruler. Now a ruler foot will help keep you from running over your ruler. I do have a stitch regulator but I can get pretty even stitches without it once you get used to the speed you need to obtain the stitch length you want.

The brother does not seem to have tension fits and is not a thread snob. It sews any thread I feed it and once I get the tension set I only have to adjust it if it gets really humid.

Now it takes some practice but once you get a sense for it you can really fly. Only downfall is the 9” throat space. You have to roll a lot and start and stop more. But for the price and space it fits my needs.

Old 03-31-2022, 11:39 AM

Instead of a longarm, try a HQ Sweet 16 or any other sit down mid/longarm and use Four Paws Linetamer ruler. It works for me to get the effect as shown in your Instagram. The new insight table has a stitch regulator.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:27 PM

If the longarm frame is large enough, some longarmers can mount a quilt kitty corner on a larger squared backing. When completed, the excess corners of backing are trimmed. Thos pieces can then be reused by sewing to another backing for next time...or in the next quilt top.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by stitch678 View Post
If the longarm frame is large enough, some longarmers can mount a quilt kitty corner on a larger squared backing. When completed, the excess corners of backing are trimmed. Thos pieces can then be reused by sewing to another backing for next time...or in the next quilt top.
This is what I was going to suggest. see this blog post for a picture of the concept https://quiltingjetgirl.com/2018/08/...-longarm-tips/