Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm machine >

Longarm machine

Longarm machine

Old 01-06-2014, 08:43 PM

My DH got me one about 18 months ago. I have done 1 full size quilt on it and a couple charity small ones. My Dad moved in with us and I really didn't do anything with it as I was putting blocks into tops.

Now that he has passed I plan to try and start to learn from scratch again. I only plan to do stuff for me or for gifts, nothing for others...too much stress and pressure.

DH thinks we can learn and do for others, but I just don't want to take the chance of ruining someone's hard work.

I have a Pfaff Grand Quilter 18
Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

i quilt for myself and probably an equal number for charity
Old 01-07-2014, 05:21 AM

I bought my HQ16 used and love it. Used price I could justify. Glad I bought it.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:32 AM

i only use my long arm for myself. will do a quilt for my sister or sister in law but that
is it
Old 01-07-2014, 05:44 AM

I have a Tin Lizzie 18LS and use it for my own quilts only.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 AM

I went to the Houston International Quilt Festival 2 years ago and stopped by the Handi Quilter booth. Fell in love with the Sweet Sixteen. I retired seven years ago and joined a local guild. I had been quilting on my Janome Spec. Ed. 11,000 and even with the large throat plate find it hard to quilt on a very large quilt.

I could not justify spending $5,200 for a new sweet 16. Keep hashing it around in my head. My sweet husband told me if I wanted a machine to go and buy one. We both worked hard and saved for a comfortable retirement. I knew I would be purchasing for my use only.

I started a quest to find a gently used sixteen. It took me about 8 months and finally found a machine that was 14.months old. The machine had only been used twice to quilt 2 small table runners. The lady who owned got sick and was unable to sew anymore. The had never run two bobbins through the machine, thus it had never been oiled.

Her daughter asked the dealer her mother purchased it from to help her sell it. I purchased the machine for $3,000.

I love this machine and have never regretted the purchase. It has made me a better free motion quilter and has given me the confidence to take classes and try different free motion techniques.

I am glad I waited to find a used machine. Saving $2,000 was a real plus in my decision to buy the machine for my personal use.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:29 AM

Christmas 2012, my husband bought me a Bernina frame and I purchased a Bernina 780 to go on it. My SIL and I went together and bought the Creative Touch Pad with QuiltMotion for the frame and she purchased a 750 to use with it. We have both used it extensively and I have quilted 2 service quilts for my quilt guild. We didn't do this with the intention of quilting for others, but thought now that we have some experience under our belts we would give it a try. We've had positive feedback on the quilting and we have put the word out there that we are willing to quilt for others for a very competitive price, have had some interest but no commitments yet. Since the holidays are over maybe that will change.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:31 AM

I only quilt for myself. I've been asked to quilt for others, but I can't imagine the anxiety I would feel if I knew someone was going to pay me. I'd be much too hard on myself if I knew someone was counting on me. I do give my quilts to family and friends.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:05 AM

I really wanted a long arm and thought I could quilt for others to pay for it but the more I thought about it the more I knew that really wasn't for me!! I don't want to turn my hobby into a business. I want to do what I want when I want!!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:31 AM

I have an APQS..purchased it used over 15 yrs ago...and yes it is still going strong..it is on a 14ft table.... I did for several yrs do L/A professionally...before the other sewing machine mfgrs began making their versions of L/As,and quilters began doing their own either with DM or the less expensiveL/A I had a good clientele, enjoyed seeing others quilts and loved quilting them....and in turn they loved what I did....a win/ win situation. The downside of professional quilting......you lose much of your own sewing, quilting time.....I had a house, family and all that that entails too.....life went on, then there were two of us, now only me......am still asked if I quilt for others.......haven't in several yrs now...finally getting caught up with my own " projects". I never made a lot of $$$$, thank heavens we did not have to live on what I did.......but I have always done hands on things and did them to the max...this was the maxist! There are afew who are very successful monetarily at L/A, and now with the computerized systems, probably a lot quicker and definitely easier on your back and shoulders! But anyway, that's my story and it has been a fun one and I still "play"' but now with my own things!