Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm quilters--best? >

Longarm quilters--best?

Longarm quilters--best?

Old 10-18-2011, 10:22 AM

I agree with quilttiludrop: buy the largest machine and biggest table you can afford. I purchased a Voyager 17 with a 10 foot table a few months ago for a very reasonable price and love it, only it isn't big enough. I'll save for another year or so and probably get a APQS millennium.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:05 PM

I had a Handiquilter and 10 foot table. Now I have an A-1 and a 12 foot table. Have a dealer within 25 miles and am very satisfied! Look, try, why do you want one??? Business, Pleasure?? Room around the machine??? Just pantographs, don't bother!! Custom quilting only ??? Only for yourself or whole family of quilters? Only you answer and then decide what is best for you.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM

Love, love, love my Gammill. Quality in everything they build and their customer service is fantastic.....even many years after the purchase.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by lfletcher
I love my Gammill.
Exactly what she said....
Old 10-18-2011, 01:55 PM

I have the Handi Quilter Avante. I love it and I know each to his own, but I tried it out and definitely love the stitch regulator! One day i will add the prostitcher, which is the part that is computerized! wow, can't wait!! If you look on their website and look for a local dealer, you can usually get a better price than what is on their website. I did.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:47 PM

If you can --go to a large quilt show and test drive all the different machines.
I have a Handi Quilter-- Sweet 16(sit down model) and love it. Have had it for around 6 years and it still purrs like a kitten.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:37 PM

Gammill, APQS, & Handi Quilter were at the top of my list when I was looking. Had friends locally who had these three machines and a LQS that had a few different ones. I got to play on the machines at my leisure rather than having to hurry by looking somewhere like a quilt show. I tried to spend one afternoon with each person. I was lucky enough to find a used APQS Lenni close and it was my first choice so I went for it. I didn't want anything smaller. All and all I got the best reports of customer service on APQS and Gammill. I was told by both owners that when they had a problem that customer service would talk them through it on the phone rather than insisting that they pack up their machine and send it in for service. My best friend has APQS so I consider myself lucky that she will be able to help me learn how to use my machine. Oh, and definitely invest in the stitch regulator. Ann in TN
Old 10-18-2011, 03:54 PM

I love my Babylock Crown Jewel. She is a real work horse and so easy to operate.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:14 PM

I recently bought a new to me Nolting and love it. One thing to consider is who will service your machine if you have problems. Where are they located and what do they charge. Most charge for the service call and milage to get there and back. All important information in these down times. Most can assist over the phone but you need to know who and where if something major goes wrong. Have fun test driving machines, I know I did.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:31 PM

can't add anything more, after I test drove every make and model, I settled on Gammill. loved the machine and and loved the service and loved that a large dealer is the next town over ;-)

have fun and enjoy!