Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm quilters--best? >

Longarm quilters--best?

Longarm quilters--best?

Old 10-18-2011, 04:35 PM

I just looked at the millenium http://www.apqs.com/machines_millennium.php what makes this machine the dream machine? I am looking for a long arm also but keep wondering if they are going to make a newer better model...like computers you buy it and two months later its old. I just did a search on dealers none in my state.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 PM

Love, love my Handiquilter and would have no hesitation in buying again. I tried out several of the others including the Gammil and the Handiquilter was the best choice for me and the quilting I and my customers want to do.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

Love my Handi-Quilter!
Do more testing for what options and set-ups feel right for YOU. Ask lots of questions too.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:06 PM

Gammill Vision!!! Bought a Gammill Premier in 2003. Loved it! Traded it in on a new Gammill Vision last spring. Love it even more!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
There is no one best longarm machine anymore than there is one best car. Try out as many as you can. Pick the one that works for you best.
She is right, what is right for me - Innova - may not be right for you. Personally, I like having a machine that I oil in one place at the end of the day (bobbin area, 3 drops), I have 24/7/365 free tech support (I have called on Christmas day), a company that listens to their quilters and makes changes to the machines according to their input, a machine that can go from 0 to 3,000 stitches per minute in one push and all the stitches are the same length, a machine that can use even threads the manufacturer says is for bobbin work as a top thread, a machine that needs timing once a year or so, that can hit a nickel (I was adjusting the height of the hopping foot and forgot to put the needle down and bumped the needle down button with my arm) and only put a divot in the nickel and shatter the needle, easy to move and control, and makes my quilting look good!

Check out Renae Haddadin's article on buying a longarm http://quiltsonthecorner.com/renae_haddadin where she gives you things to think about and ask about while on your hunt. Yeah, she does have an Innova, but her article is not directed to a specific machine brand.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:00 AM

I have an APQS Liberty. APQS is a great company and has terrific customer support. They are located in Carroll, Iowa and their machines are all made in the US. I love my machine and would recommend it as well as the company. That being said, I would do some research and find out if you have a dealer and/or service person close by should you ever need service. Even having a great company doesn't help if you need repairs and there is no one in the area. I also have a 14 foot table and I regret it. I wish I would have gotten the 12 foot. Make sure you ask what the "footprint" of your machine will be. The "footprint" of my machine is something like 5 ft by 16 ft. If I had realized that when I purchased it, I would have gotten a smaller table since I am very cramped.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:53 PM

Mine is a Handiquilter Avante and I like it alot. Fun and easy to use. Now if I could just get feathers down pat!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:34 PM

I was lucky enough to have reps close and was able to try the Gammill, the A-1 and the APQS. I have used my mothers Gammill a few times. I went with the APQS Freedom and LOVE IT! I wouldn't trade it for the world. The Service is GREAT too!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jagsd3
I was lucky enough to have reps close and was able to try the Gammill, the A-1 and the APQS. I have used my mothers Gammill a few times. I went with the APQS Freedom and LOVE IT! I wouldn't trade it for the world. The Service is GREAT too!
It's nice to hear that you like the APQS Freedom. I just sold my Tin Lizzie 18LS that I had less than a year. I liked it but I started quilting for customers and I want a larger throat and I really want the power fabric advance. I have checked out the long arms at quilt shows the past couple years and at the MN Quilt Show again this summer. The APQS Freedom is the one I chose to get and now I just need to get it ordered this week. It's nice to hear that somone who owns an APQS Freedom is very happy with it. I also liked the Handi Quilter Fusion (24") and the Innova but the APQS Freedom felt the most comfortable to me. Like everyone says, it's all about what machine feels comfortable to you when you are standing at it and using it.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:07 PM

I just researched and bought a long arm. I spent over a month reading online and demoing machines at quilt expos. I think budget is going to be one determination that could influence your decision, but for us it came down to the feel of the machine, warranty, stitch quality and support. APQS seems to have the best warranty and a very active customer forum. Even though we had been told some scary things about gammills, when we demoed them the stitch quality was great and the machine moved fluidly, they were our second choice, a-1 was a very graceful machine and I thought their install and training seemed to be the best..customer support was super friendly. In the end we chose Innova, the stitch quality was amazing and I love that the company has been in the commercial quilting business and has 24/7 customer support. We were impressed with the knowledge the reps had and that they are forward thinkers. they listen to their customers and continuously add new features. But everyone is different and all the big names are excellent products it's just whatever feels best for you and what machine fits the best for you. It was a hard decision till we tried everything and then tried it a second time:)