Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
longarm quilting >

longarm quilting

longarm quilting

Old 02-15-2024, 12:25 PM

Default longarm quilting

I've decided to get a longarm quilting machine and frame. One thing I've been thinking about is getting a rolling stool/chair so I can sit and quilt, rather than stand for hours. Has anyone here done that? Are there any problems to look out for?
Old 02-15-2024, 12:29 PM

Make sure it has a back. My husband went to sit in mY backless wheeled chair and sat back too far. He and the chair tipped over. We were very lucky he didn't get hurt.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:45 PM

I sit on a stool to quilt and then just move it as I need to. I keep my right hand on the handle and my left on the quilt.
I'm not sure I'd be talented enough to scoot myself along on wheels while quilting, but give it a try.
I find my quilting is a lot steadier when I am sitting.

Watson
Old 02-15-2024, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I bought a saddle chair (no back on it), thinking that I would use it when longarming. However I found that I didn't like sitting at the longarm. Now I use it to wheel the big bag of dog food from the car into the house. There's a use for everything, just not necessarily the use you envision when you buy it.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:55 PM

I can't imagine quilting sitting on a frame.
Maybe if it's only set up for 5 ft or so. I have a 10.ft frame and the bars are about waist height on me. If I was sitting , my nose would be in my work. I wish you luck
Old 02-15-2024, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Make sure it has a back. My husband went to sit in mY backless wheeled chair and sat back too far. He and the chair tipped over. We were very lucky he didn't get hurt.
So glad he's OK. I thought about a back, but I seldom use the one on my regular sewing chair, so was undecided.
Old 02-15-2024, 01:06 PM

The frame I'm looking at can be adjusted to various heights. I would have it set where I can comfortably sit and quilt.
Old 02-15-2024, 01:56 PM

I too thought I would like to sit and quilt, I also bought a backless saddle chair. I only use the chair when I am setting everything up. I also bought the electric lift for my longarm so I can adjust the height, I do like that feature! What set up are you getting?
Old 02-15-2024, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
I can't imagine quilting sitting on a frame.
Maybe if it's only set up for 5 ft or so. I have a 10.ft frame and the bars are about waist height on me. If I was sitting , my nose would be in my work. I wish you luck
Some frames can be lowered, some chairs can be raised. My saddle chair goes up high enough so I could sit on it and quilt on the frame.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:57 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by SittingPretty View Post
The frame I'm looking at can be adjusted to various heights. I would have it set where I can comfortably sit and quilt.
I'd consider a model with a frame that has either hydraulic or electric lift available. The type with detents where you manually adjust each leg are a pain to adjust after you get the longarm set up and then you still will need to check frame level after you adjust it. You need to take the machine off the frame each time you adjust it as well so there's not extra weight on the rails or you risk permanently bending/bowing them.

I know APQS sells a hydraulic lift for their 26" and 30" models with deluxe frame.

Last edited by mkc; 02-15-2024 at 03:00 PM.