Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for advice... bargain fabrics versus more costly "treasures" >

Looking for advice... bargain fabrics versus more costly "treasures"

Looking for advice... bargain fabrics versus more costly "treasures"

Old 09-09-2009, 12:30 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
need 16 and a half yards!
RedGarnet,

That's more than a full bolt of fabric... you really should find a place that will give you a quantity discount! Lots of places will do that... if you ask.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:15 PM

To stick with the original question posed, I scour every shop, every site, every time I visit. Very early on in my buying inexperience did I set out to buy a complete fabric line based on a magazine picture. None of the LQS had it stock, so I bought online. I wasn't as crazy about it IRL as I was with the picture. Live and learn. It will get used either way.

I like to get pieces from all over and match it all up at home with my growing stash. Not because lines are designed to be matchy, but I don't like to be limited with what's presented. With most lines, I end up liking only a handful of the collection so I'd have to supplement it somehow with other fabrics, still coordinating.

Whatever you charge for whatever services you render that attracts whatever customers, IMHO, is your business. As the owner, you know what you need to do to keep your business going. What works for one shop doesn't mean it sets the standard for all others. And if the pricing seems "too high" for a shopper, they certainly can exercise the right to purchase elsewhere. I don't know what good it accomplishes to try and compare your store with the perception of what other online shops offer----especially since that wasn't the original purpose to starting this thread.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
To stick with the original question posed, I scour every shop, every site, every time I visit. Very early on in my buying inexperience did I set out to buy a complete fabric line based on a magazine picture. None of the LQS had it stock, so I bought online. I wasn't as crazy about it IRL as I was with the picture. Live and learn. It will get used either way.

I like to get pieces from all over and match it all up at home with my growing stash. Not because lines are designed to be matchy, but I don't like to be limited with what's presented. With most lines, I end up liking only a handful of the collection so I'd have to supplement it somehow with other fabrics, still coordinating.

Whatever you charge for whatever services you render that attracts whatever customers, IMHO, is your business. As the owner, you know what you need to do to keep your business going. What works for one shop doesn't mean it sets the standard for all others. And if the pricing seems "too high" for a shopper, they certainly can exercise the right to purchase elsewhere. I don't know what good it accomplishes to try and compare your store with the perception of what other online shops offer----especially since that wasn't the original purpose to starting this thread.
since you seem to have a problem with my mentioning price, i'll address it.

the OP specifically stated exactly how much she would have to charge for said types of fabric. i do not feel i went off topic to suggest her price points are high for similar fabric types from other online retailers.

had she not mentioned a price, then my mentioning it would have been off topic, but i didn't bring price up first, she did, and i can certainly comment on it.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:58 PM

I'm sorry, the way I read it was we were being asked whether to carry more of a selection of discontinued fabrics. Tho' mentioned, the focus wasn't on the price per yard as was commented by your first response.

Not being a shop owner or the shop owner, nor a quilt designer I guess price points aren't high on my list of priorities. I can either pay or take my business elsewhere. It's all about fabric selection.

Regardless of what you seem to think my "problem" (using your word) is, you have your views and I have mine and we both got to respond. No harm.

Hope you have a better day.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:08 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

... the way I read it was we were being asked whether to carry more of a selection of discontinued fabrics.
You interpreted the question correctly, Quiltluvr. Thank you for joining the discussion!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Banned

I'm sorry, the way I read it was we were being asked whether to carry more of a selection of discontinued fabrics. Tho' mentioned, the focus wasn't on the price per yard as was commented by your first response.

Not being a shop owner or the shop owner, nor a quilt designer I guess price points aren't high on my list of priorities. I can either pay or take my business elsewhere. It's all about fabric selection.

Regardless of what you seem to think my "problem" (using your word) is, you have your views and I have mine and we both got to respond. No harm.

other people mentioned price before me so the focus of the thread seems to be both - i'm not the only one nor the first to mention the price issue.

you can certainly have your view but don't try to make a point about some one else's and stating that they shouldn't have made the comment and certainly not when a few people have made the same statement as i did.

i didn't ask her to justify why she has to charge so much - she chose to go on about her overhead, living wages, taxes, etc - no one put her on the spot to make those statements.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:19 PM

My LQS had never had "bargain" fabrics until recently (unemplyment is high in this area, too; I'm one of them). The fabrics were always $8.99-$12.99 per yard, some higher. I can't remember the last time I bought fabric there without a gift card. Stopped in last week and there were many tables of $4.99 and 5.99/yard fabrics--all the same quality as before. I looked around and couldn't find any above $8.99. I think she adjusted her prices to fit the area and the economy. I'll go back there now that I have choices-I think she made a good marketing/business decision.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns

other people mentioned price before me so the focus of the thread seems to be both - i'm not the only one nor the first to mention the price issue.

you can certainly have your view but don't try to make a point about some one else's and stating that they shouldn't have made the comment and certainly not when a few people have made the same statement as i did.

i didn't ask her to justify why she has to charge so much - she chose to go on about her overhead, living wages, taxes, etc - no one put her on the spot to make those statements.

Then why are you making such a big deal out of it? Admin?
Old 09-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Banned

how am i making a big deal out of it. there's questions as to why price was mentioned and i'm point out why it was brought up.

a couple of people mentioned price and the OP chose to continue the thread in that direction - she could have just ignored the price comments but she chose to comment no one forced her.

when the few people mentioned price at that point she could have said i don't wish to discuss price instead she chose to discuss how she determines her prices.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
how am i making a big deal out of it. there's questions as to why price was mentioned and i'm point out why it was brought up.

a couple of people mentioned price and the OP chose to continue the thread in that direction - she could have just ignored the price comments but she chose to comment no one forced her.

when the few people mentioned price at that point she could have said i don't wish to discuss price instead she chose to discuss how she determines her prices.

Actually, from what I have been reading lately, it seems for some reason, you have a problem with Favorite Fabrics. I don't know why, and quite frankly it is none of my business, but this in my opinion smacks of drama that isn't necessary. You seem determined to not just "let it go". Whatever it is......I hope you work it out. Have a great day.