Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for Christmas Gift Ideas for Quilter >

Looking for Christmas Gift Ideas for Quilter

Looking for Christmas Gift Ideas for Quilter

Old 11-17-2015, 03:57 PM

Default Looking for Christmas Gift Ideas for Quilter

Hi,

I'm not a quilter, but my wife is. She's getting back into it after a long break and I'd like to get her something quilting related for Christmas. She is sewing on a Bernina that probably dates back to the 60's, but I don't think the budget will stretch to a new machine.

I've got a budget of about $300. I'd be grateful if you could give me some ideas.

She has the basic tools like scissors, an olfa cutting wheel, cutting mat & ruler.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 11-17-2015, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

Gift certificate! Unless she's already told you about something else that she really wants, a gift certificate is probably your best option. My personal preference would be for a gift card that can be used anywhere, rather than one that is only good at one shop.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:06 PM

I agree. Everyone has their own personal preferences.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:11 PM

Gift certificate is my vote as well. Not knowing what "tools" she currently has ... and with so many new things to choose from ... it would be difficult to suggest something.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:56 PM
KLO

But if you want to actually buy something (my dh hates to give gift certificates to me) maybe buy a few other size rulers, some extra same size rotary blades (or even another different size cutter than she already has) and some prepackaged fabrics like fat quarters, jelly rolls, etc. in her favorite colors or the colors in your home.You could buy a few things and then do a gift certificate for the rest. That way she has something to open Christmas day and something to look forward to buying later.

Oh and so nice that you want to do this for her that you are willing to ask for advice from other quilters.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:15 PM
Gay

I'd like a gift card for a shop where I could get everything I need - fabrics, rulers, cutting blades, threads, embroidery threads, lace, ribbons - the list goes on, and on..........
Old 11-17-2015, 05:21 PM

Hi Dennis,
Since you say she is just getting back into quilting again, maybe a quilt store near you has a class she may like to take. Like the others said, a gift certificate to the store and ask if it can be used for classes as well. That way she may be able to meet up with other quilters to help her get back into the quilting world again.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:22 PM

KLO responded before I could, but I certainly agree with everybody...GIFT CERTIFICATE!!!! And in addition to what KLO mentioned, I just purchased (for myself, at Joann's with a 50% off coupon) a Fritz brand "Flip-It" Tape Measure. It measures up to 144" on one side, and ya flip it over and continues to measure up to 288". Even without a coupon, it's $4.99. Wrap it up by itself, tape the gift card to the back of it, and you'll have a happy wife. Or go with all the items KLO mentioned, adding this tape measure to it, and a bow (or not) on top, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Old 11-17-2015, 06:31 PM

I thought about an Accuquilt Go or Accuquilt Go Baby and some dies. I know I would love one of those.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:31 PM

Hi, Dennis. Another thought is a Craftsy gift certificate. They offer online quilting classes that are excellent and she could take them on her computer at her convenience and they'll be hers forever. Many of us here take these classes. As the holidays get closer there will be sales. Here is the link.
http://www.craftsy.com/classes/quilt...lting,quilting