Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Gift Ideas for a quilter

Looking for Gift Ideas for a quilter

I am looking for gift ideas for Mom. Do you have any ideas...like a tool or gizmo that most quilters don't have but probably would find handy?

My first choice would be a quilt calendar, but if you want a gizmo, see the thread about "name this notion".
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    A gift certificate to my favorite quilt store would make me very happy! Might work for Mom, too.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Gift certificates are perfect. I love getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
    Gift certificates are perfect. I love getting them.
    Me too! Next best thing would be a longarm

I'm giving all my quilting friends the new Clover Wedge Iron. It's the kind of gift most won't buy for themselves but would love to have one.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Gift certificate would be my choice. I do love my battery operated seam ripper.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

How about a tailor's clapper. I think quilter's use them when pressing seams...press seam, put clapper on top of seam for a few seconds until cooled. Seams are suppose to be better if a clapper is used (so they say). Here's what one looks like.

http://www.thesewingplace.com/Clappe...-p/nt-clap.htm

Super Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    Last edited by sewingitalltogether; 12-16-2015 at 05:26 PM.

A "Gypsy Gripper" is the first thing that comes to mind. Then there's the "Seam Fix" seam ripper with the rubber end to wisk the cut threads away. Almost everyone loves "Best Press." The "Bohin Mechanical Chalk Pencil" is pretty awesome, and comes with lots of different colored lead. A new box of pins is always nice. The "Extra Fine Glass Headed Pins" are my favorite.
    Annette in Utah

If she doesn't have a small cutting mat that rotates that would be a really nice gift. I was to cheap to buy one for myself thinking I wouldn't use it but received one as a gift and now wonder how I lived without it. LOL
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I ask for specific items - don't get them - then go buy them myself! My husband tells me to buy whatever "gadget" I want and then he wraps it for me to open Christmas morning. Waiting for my rotary blade sharpener to arrive so he can wrap it and put it under the tree. Best gift is a gift certificate to my LQS so I can buy thread, fabric or a new gizmo there.

How about a basket of little, often-used items with a gift card? One thing I use a lit is a mini flashlight with a wrist strap . It hangs on my peg board. Can't tell you how many times I've used that to look into/around/under my machine for various lost items. A new sharp seam ripper . Small post-it notes to make notes that stick to the machine for easy reference (last stitch used before I shut off machine for the night, for example or the color thread she's almost out of, etc). A spool of variegated thread in a color way she uses often. But gift cards are the bomb. I just like to add a touch of "something for right now" to the "something to shop with" fun.

I agree with the rest of the comments. Gift certificate especially if you know her favorite store. Or you could make up an IOU for a day trip to some local shops and include lunch. That is what I got from one of my friends and I am looking forward to the trip to San Diego in January!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

One item that I've never seen a quilter turn down is totally non-quilting. Get her a gift certificate to a day spa -- massage, manicure, pedicure, facial. My son got me one for my birthday and I spent the day being pampered to the max. They even fed me lunch.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
    One item that I've never seen a quilter turn down is totally non-quilting. Get her a gift certificate to a day spa -- massage, manicure, pedicure, facial. My son got me one for my birthday and I spent the day being pampered to the max. They even fed me lunch.
    See if anyone were to give me that I'd either let if expire or I'd pass it on. I don't like strange people to touch me.

Without knowing how advanced she is that makes it hard to suggest something. You might sneek and see if she has a binding foot for her machine. That sure makes life easier when finishing a quilt. Oh, another thing might be new blades for her rotary cutter that we use to cut our fabrics with. We sometimes use them past the time we should because they are expensive.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 12-17-2015 at 09:02 PM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

A needle threader.

I just love receiving a gift card for my favorite store - or an online gift card - then I can purchase what I need the most....er...I mean what I WANT...

And your family knows that, so would never give you one. But what about movies, favorite restaurants, book stores? Different strokes, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    See if anyone were to give me that I'd either let if expire or I'd pass it on. I don't like strange people to touch me.

I always would like a new cutting mat. They are a bit pricey, so I use my old one til it is ready to fall apart, but I just turn it over and keep on cutting.

Blog Entries
    One year a friend got me a couple jelly rolls and fat quarters in colors I don't like! Mainly orange items. This may seem odd but sometimes you just need a bit of a certain color and I do not want to buy orange! This gave me a variety of tones and patterns without having to buy 1/4 yards of things I don't like. (She also included a nice bottle of wine.) I have found myself on several occasions going into the orange stash for a bit for appliques and highlights. And every time I think of her.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    Me too. No day spa for me either. Anyone that gave me that, I would appreciate the thought very much, but I'd know that person doesn't know me at all.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

While I have to say a massage is like heaven on earth I will tell you nothing beats a longarm on a frame with a computer attached to it to warm a quilter's heart.
    tim in san jose

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I purchased a bag of Peels for myself. they were 13.75. I probably would have thought twice about purchasing them. but I really like them now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast