Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for Christmas Gift Ideas for Quilter >

Looking for Christmas Gift Ideas for Quilter

Looking for Christmas Gift Ideas for Quilter

Old 11-18-2015, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yvrdennis View Post
I'll have to get her to read this thread, especially the bits about me being a great husband.

I googled some pictures and I think hers is a Record 530.

I'm kind of leaning towards the go fabric cutter. Does anyone else have any comments on these? I looked on their website and it looks like you are limited to cutting the sizes and shapes of the dies. Is this a serious limitation?

My wife has been spending a lot of time looking at new york beauty type quilts, so I think this is the kind of thing she is planning on making.
New York Beauties (NYB) are best done paper pieced. Judy Neimeyer has some fabulous patterns that include the paper foundations. You might want to check with a local quilt shop to see if they offer any classes on paper piecing and see if she has any interest in that. Here is a link to Judy's patterns:
http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/

Edited to add, yes with Go die you are limited to what dies you have and they are expensive. Many people do like them that have them. But some of us still enjoy cutting with a rotary cutter and self healing mat. Truth be told if my husband surprised me with a Go I would promptly return it for something else. But that is just me.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 11-18-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
New York Beauties (NYB) are best done paper pieced. Judy Neimeyer has some fabulous patterns that include the paper foundations. You might want to check with a local quilt shop to see if they offer any classes on paper piecing and see if she has any interest in that. Here is a link to Judy's patterns:
http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/

Edited to add, yes with Go die you are limited to what dies you have and they are expensive. Many people do like them that have them. But some of us still enjoy cutting with a rotary cutter and self healing mat. Truth be told if my husband surprised me with a Go I would promptly return it for something else. But that is just me.
I have heard her talking about paper piecing. Are the Go cutters useful if you're paper piecing?

Thanks again,
Dennis
Old 11-18-2015, 10:29 AM

I have the GO and love it. It comes with a couple of the basic dies and but I use the 2.5 inch strip die, the 5 in. square, and the hexagon dies the most. As they go on sale I buy more. I bought the Double Wedding Ring dies and a friend of mine used it to cut out the quilt to make for her daughter. It was wonderful - all those little shapes cut out within a couple of hours. Ask her if she is interested in such a unit. I bought mine at a quilt show, Accuquilt had a display, and I was fascinated. The more I thought about it the more I wanted one, so ended up getting it before I left the show.

The GO does not eliminate the use of the rotary cutter and mat, it just helps with more accurate cuts and you can cut 6 layers at one time. If I am only cutting a couple strips, I use my June Taylor Shape Cutter.

I only do English Paper Piecing, my GO is good for that, I don't know out the type.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:42 AM

Dennis, I'm glad you're thinking about the GO. If my husband gave me a gift card, I'd think he had no idea what I like (which means he doesn't pay any attention to what I talk about) and was taking the easy way out. You sound like a very thoughtful husband since you're asking us for help and I'm sure any gift you decide on will be appreciated since it will show you put some thought into it.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yvrdennis View Post
I have heard her talking about paper piecing. Are the Go cutters useful if you're paper piecing?

Thanks again,
Dennis
No. Especially when using Judy Neimeyer patterns. She includes templates for cutting the oversized pieces used in PP.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:24 PM

If she is looking at the NYB quilts maybe you could find a kit for her. They are a bit high$ for me but would be an awesome gift.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:08 AM

There is a class under Craftsy.com on Judy Neimeyers NY Beauty Quiltworx on sale...
Old 11-19-2015, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
Hi, Dennis. Another thought is a Craftsy gift certificate. They offer online quilting classes that are excellent and she could take them on her computer at her convenience and they'll be hers forever. Many of us here take these classes. As the holidays get closer there will be sales. Here is the link.
http://www.craftsy.com/classes/quilt...lting,quilting
I love their classes too. Also, sign up and you'll get emails about sales there. Never, and I mean never, buy anything there full price. They always have sales. I love there kits too. How about a class and a kit and some BlocLoc or Deb Tucker rulers.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:27 AM

I'd say to plan a day for her as your gift. She should be ready at 5pm on a certain day. Tell her to pack a nice dinner outfit, and a casual outfit, go have her hair done, have a manicure if she's into that kind of thing.

Take her to a nice hotel to check in, then to someplace nice for dinner, an evening activity that she might like - movie, play, concert, boat ride, whatever. Then back to the hotel for the night. Have some candles to light. And chocolate to put on the pillow. If you're wine drinkers, have a bottle or two of wine ready. If she'd be receptive to it, have a new nightie ready. Nothing sexy, just pretty. The next morning go to a nice brunch someplace.

Spend the rest of the day going around to your very own shop hop that you've planned. Plan a route, and take her to the quilt and/or fabric shops in the area...let her browse to her heart's content, maybe buy a few things, some fabric of choice, a big item like the Accuquilt Go! and a die or two. Late lunch, and then home to enjoy all of her purchases.

The best gift here is the gift of your time....and thoughtfulness that you put into figuring out something that would please her.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:35 AM

Nanax4 has a great idea. Sounds like a really fun time. Since she has been looking at New York Beauty quilts, I would buy her a kit for a nice one of those. I bet she would love it.