Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for a comfortable chair. >

Looking for a comfortable chair.

Looking for a comfortable chair.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:13 AM
SEW

Originally Posted by quilticing
Go to an office supply store and sit in every one of their chairs. My husband and I each picked a different chair as "most comfortable". By the way, the vinyl one is wearing out fast and it wasn't very cheap.
this is what I did... paid $129.00 but, well worth it due to how much time I spend sitting in it! My chair came with arms, which I did not install. Prior to chair shopping, I did a search on you tube for sewing room ergonomics and I came across a great tutorial which I found quite helpful.
Happy chair shoppping!
Old 06-04-2011, 04:45 AM

Ditto on checking office stores. Mine is from Office Max.

Your best bet is to look through the Sunday ads for the places that are close to you. You can look them up on-line today and 'shop'. You definitely want to 'test-drive' them first. Weight is not a real issue for these chairs as long as you get a metal 'spider' on the bottom. The real difference is in the seat width. My chair that I have currently is almost 4 years old and I love it. I used it when I was over 500 lbs and still use it today after my surgery at 275 lbs less.

You will want to take into consideration the floor that you will be on when you are using your chair. When I first bought my chair, I bought one for hard floors because that is what I had. When we moved my new room had carpet and the 'different' surface ended up breaking my base - it was extruded/reinforced plastic. I loved my chair so much I bought a replacement base that is metal with deep carpet wheels.

Don't be afraid of getting one in a box. They are really easy to put together. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:51 AM

I also went to Office Max and Staples and tried all their chairs til I found a comfy one....it is microfiber...didn't like the leather or vinyl ones....I am sure it was 100 or less as that is what I was shopping for.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:28 AM

The main thing is to try out lots of different chairs till you find one that is really comfortable. Sit in the ones that are "maybe's" for longer periods than just a couple of minutes to be sure that they stay comfortable.
I got lucky and picked up mine at a yard sale for $10! It has served me well for 6 or 8 years now and seems like it should last for at least that much longer.
If you can find one you like that is the Boss brand mentioned earlier, they have a good reputation as far as the less expensive office furniture is concerned. Alera is another one with a good reputation.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:07 AM

Thank you all so much, I'll check out some of these chairs on line and then go in person to try them out. Luckily I'm close to a couple of the office stores. And I will for sure be searching out some tutorials on quilting ergonomics. My arm and neck were sore by early evening after cutting and sewing just for a few hours.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:34 AM

Look on eBay or Craigslist as well as going to a consignment or thrift store. Definitely try them out before buying one. I have a " Perfect Sewing Chair" that I bought at PIQF a few years ago at a really good price for that chair (it is on the high end).