Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for ideas on a simple quilt

Looking for ideas on a simple quilt

I want to make a twin size quilt for my grandson who is 17. He plans to go to college for gaming so I'd like to make a simple quilt with fabrics related to gaming and there are plenty out there. I'm considering just 6 inch squares but I'm wondering if random placement of the fabrics will be too "busy." I've also considered diagonal rows with a different print in each diagonal row or possibly making row 1 the same as the last row and row 2 the same as the next to last row, etc. I did one like this many years ago using fishing fabrics and it was fine. Or would I be better putting in some plain squares to eliminate the business? I really don't want to put a super lot of time into this as who knows how long he will use it but I do want to make it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I don't plan to start it for a few weeks yet as I need to get the fabric plus I have other projects that need to be completed first.

without out seeing the fabrics its really hard to say... but I like your idea of mixing in some plain fabrics.

I have done a quilt that has 6" squares. Its a simple design but my son uses it alot. I set the squares on point so the blocks has a little more interest than straight horizontal

Power Poster
    I like the idea of a checkerboard effect - plain squares alternating with print squares.

Power Poster
    ​Warm Wishes is a good pattern for large squares of focus fabrics.

Here's a simple idea. I'm making this as a baby quilt, but if you're comfortable making pattern adjustments, you could use this design idea with larger blocks.

Warm Wishes quilt pattern is great for an easy quilt and looks complicated. It showcases theme fabric too.

Here is a free download. http://oldwww.quiltmaker.com/pattern....html?idx=5185

Tartan, I couldn't remember the name of this pattern but could see it in my mind. LOL I'm getting old.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 09-02-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

"The Man Quilt" is a good one that sews strips and squares together. It goes together pretty quick.
    Annette in Utah

We have done several Yellow Brick Road quilts using theme fabrics and always like the way they turned out. This quilt https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...-a-t83655.html had a lot of busy fabrics so we interspersed some solids and some ombré fabrics. Austin still loves and uses this quilt and it has literally traveled the world with him.

I think something like Eleanor Burns Quick Trip would be good as a pattern for a guy. This is an example of one that uses busy fabrics and calm fabrics. It is easy to figure out the pattern. https://www.etsy.com/listing/4774091...4aAuFCEALw_wcB
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I have made several Christmas quilts that were 5 in. squares and all no solid fabrics - but I have over 250 different fabrics. My daughters loved them and still use them (they are 33 and 37.) I have one too for the full size bed. But I want to make one using a tumbler and make every other one a white on white fabric(s).

Remember twin beds in college dorms are extra long, at least they were, where my son went to school.

Solid mixed with busy fabric gives the eye a place to “rest”.

Blog Entries
    Another way to break up the ( busyness) is to frame the blocks with sashing strips in solid colors. I like the diagonal settings in quilts, on point would also be fun. Alternating with solid blocks certainly adds interesting elements too. I would lay out blocks and ( play) with options for a little while to determine what is most appealing. For simple options I would probably use black sashing strips - depending on what the busy fabric looks like maybe white corner stones too.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Monale posted this free quilt today from Moda Bake Shop that I think would be good for your grandson:

https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...t-t299296.html

Her's is baby size but it would be really easy to enlarge by just adding blocks to length & width. I like the uniqueness of the pattern & a good one for focal fabrics.

I would recommend the Double Slice Layer cake quilt, a video from Missouri Star. This is my favorite quick quilt, and it always looks good. I usually cut my own ten inch squares, but it is designed for a layer cake.

Here is one I just finished, made from scraps I had.

Dina
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keep in mind that dorm rooms use twin extra long beds.

Thank you SO VERY much for all the wonderful ideas!! I almost feel like I should make more than one after all these suggestions. I won't be starting this for a few weeks yet but that will give me some time to consider all the ideas and come up with the one I feel will work the best for this quilt. Thanks again everyone!!!

I made this one for my husband 9 or so years ago. He still loves it! It's just 8" squares with an 8" border. He loves the outdoors and animals.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

What classes is he taking? Does he want to be a video game developer?
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

DJ
    Well you now have tons of great ideas. I would offer you one more. I think this is a really fun quilt, and you could adjust the size focus fabric blocks you want to use:
    It's Twisted Happy Blocks - free pattern from Maryquilts.com
    https://maryquiltscom.files.wordpres...ocks-quilt.pdf

I made two quilts very fast by using a lg jelly roll(one for each) then I made them personal by putting an appliqué on them of their pet cats..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildernessties View Post
    I want to make a twin size quilt for my grandson who is 17. He plans to go to college for gaming so I'd like to make a simple quilt with fabrics related to gaming and there are plenty out there. I'm considering just 6 inch squares but I'm wondering if random placement of the fabrics will be too "busy." I've also considered diagonal rows with a different print in each diagonal row or possibly making row 1 the same as the last row and row 2 the same as the next to last row, etc. I did one like this many years ago using fishing fabrics and it was fine. Or would I be better putting in some plain squares to eliminate the business? I really don't want to put a super lot of time into this as who knows how long he will use it but I do want to make it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I don't plan to start it for a few weeks yet as I need to get the fabric plus I have other projects that need to be completed first.
    How about squares of techno fabric with sashing in a complementary color?
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    I made a quilt for our grandson when he received his Eagle Scout Award. Ordered a Panel with an Eagle, then did blocks and strips and finished it with braids. He loved it, and still does!
    The cat would like to sleep on it, but he puts it on his closet shelf when he is gone and she is looking for it.
    That didn't take a lot of time, and it was very attractive, if I do say so myself!
    Got the Panel from Mo. Star.
    Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

I'd suggest a D9P, fast and easy. I would use your games fabric for the corner blocks, one color for all the center blocks with a pop of brightness or a very dark, depending on the colors in your prints. And interesting coordinating prints for the squares that will be cut into rectangles. Tone on tones as well as geometric prints would work, so would solids.

I made one for my grandson in green scrappy and he loves it still.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    I like falling charms from MSQC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast