Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for ideas: What can I do with these pieces of fabric? >

Looking for ideas: What can I do with these pieces of fabric?

Looking for ideas: What can I do with these pieces of fabric?

Old 07-18-2015, 11:10 AM

Wow! I can't express how grateful I am for your friendly welcome.

Last week I didn't know what to do with these little dolls, and now I'm so excited to find so many good ideas here that I wish I could have more dolls to try everything!

Thank you for all the suggestions

The only bad new is that I went shopping this morning but I couldn't find any fabrics in red... well, there was a pair of pretty novelties that probably could work, but they were totally out of my budget. I live in a small town and it's hard to find some variety at good prices. Next time, I'll visit an old little shop where my mother buys, and I will go for basics: solids, dots and gingham.

I hope to bring you some pictures soon.

Maniac Quilter, hola! I also learned the language in the High School... the problem is that it happened more than twenty years ago, so my English is a bit 'rusty'. Fortunately, I've been reading you for a while and now I'm ready for dusting!

By the way, your use of the English language is great (from a former English teacher of 38 years)
Thank you! I'm having a hard time trying to choose the right words, but luckily, I can take my time to think (because of that, I find easier to write than to speak). Of course, all corrections will always be welcome

Last edited by Silk; 07-18-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

The dolls are amazing, so beautiful. I think I would look for a muslin or beige fabric, which is what I see in the picture; then border each print so they are the same size. Since I was never good at metric measurements (your English is far better) so I'm seeing them 3 across and 3 down to make a nice lap or twin size quilt, depending on the size of the blocks. For some reason I'm seeing them with a red/white checkerboard sashing, with pinwheels on the outside border. I can also see using red and white sashing, 2 strips red, 1 white, then reversing for a checkerboard in between for corner stones. Whatever you do will be beautiful. Welcome to the QB from Mass., formerly from NH.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:26 PM
KLO

Welcome from the middle of North Carolina! How wonderful that you decided to join the Board. It looks like you have plenty of suggestions to chose from so I hope you can soon find some red fabrics to work for this project that you can afford. Buena Suerte!

I had 2 years of Spanish in high school back in the early 60's so I think I had better just stick to English at the moment since your English is so good.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:35 PM

I like ManiacQuilter's idea, too. And in keeping with the redwork look of these blocks, I would not add any additional colors. Hope you show us what you decide to do with them.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:17 PM

I do love red and white quilts. Notice PodunkPretties uses mostly bright, crisp colors with white. I agree, her quilts are gorgeous. I love the basket! Will try that one!
Old 07-18-2015, 06:05 PM

Welcome from Colorado! Great ideas have been posted, hope you are able to find a red that will work.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:09 PM
Power Poster

Greetings from Northern California and a German transplant who also thinks that your language skills are great.

I like the idea of sashing the dolls in red. Once you have the blocks assembled, you could treat that as a center panel and continue to add pieced borders - sort of like a medallion quilt.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:05 AM

Just because they are red doesn't meen you need to border them with red. Heres a link to a redwork quilt framed with bright scrappy fabrics.
http://www.shadetreequilting.com/201...-list.html?m=1
Old 07-19-2015, 06:27 PM

Hi, and welcome. Take a look at warm wishes pattern. A small lap quilt of this pattern with red, white and maybe black or any color you want. This is a good beginners pattern. Would be so cute for a little girls room or draped on the foot of a antique bed. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 PM

Welcome! I also like the idea of a lap quilt with borders or dashing between the blocks. Very neat fabric! Whatever you decide to make, please come and share pictures

And your English is just fine! I took Spanish in high school and can only do some counting and name/recognize some words!