Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for information >

looking for information

looking for information

Old 08-26-2009, 11:13 AM

Hi everyone I have a problem-- my Janome 9000 is sick I think it may be time to replace it so I looked at and realy liked a Viking sapphire 850 then I read some realy bad reviews about it on some other sites. I have been reading posts on this site for years and have a lot of respect for your opinions. does any one have experience with a sapphire 850and is it good or bad? or should I look at something else , I only want it for general sewing and quilting. thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 11:29 AM

I don't have that Viking machine but the Viking I have is about 12 years old and has been great to sew with.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:38 AM

My Viking is much older than the one you are looking at (20 years) so I can't help you with an opinion on the model, just the brand. Mine is as solid and reliable as anything I have ever owned. I can only offer you a source of machine reviews written by real people who use them. Have you read the reviews at Pattern Review? http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/Viking/ Best of luck to you.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:34 PM

Hi there, if you go to the search at the top of the page & type in sapphire you can see where we have had previous discussions. My machine is the 870..... it's best feature is that it has a 10" harp (opening) area. If I had the money I'd put it into a Bernina or a Pfaff. I have had the Husqvarna Lily 540 for 10 years and it's great for regular sewing. My best advice to you, is take some samples with you to the different shops & try out the machines doing exactly what you want it to do. I wish I'd taken a little more time, as I'd really like to have a nicer alphabet, I find mine doesn't always make the smoothest lettering.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:09 PM

I have the Viking you're asking about and I'm very happy with it. I don't use the fancy lettering or stitiches (just haven't learned how yet). I really like the fabric thickness sensor feature-it sews over anything. The only thing I wish was different is the space under the arm--is that the "harp" area? I do wish that was larger for easier quilting. If you go to the HusqvarnaViking website they do a nice comparison of their machines but remember they're selling their machines. If you have access to other brands, I agree with the others-try as many as you can before you make your choice. I would choose the Sapphire again even if I had other choices. Of course if I could afford the new Viking, I'd get that but I'd rather buy a new car (very expensive!!) Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
Peace-Jan
Old 08-26-2009, 07:48 PM

Oh I have a Janome 9000 and love it..... sorry yours is sick.
Don't know to much about the new machines..... haven't had a reason to check them out.

Scrap
Old 08-27-2009, 01:13 AM

I have had my Viking 830 for a few months now and I love it! It's got a few less stitches than what you are looking at, but otherwise almost identical. It is different than any machine I've ever used, so it did take a little more time to get acclimated. There is no presser foot lever (I do still reach for it occasionally). The presser foot has 3 up positions - you can use the buttons to lift, or the foot pedal. When you are threading, you need to be sure it's in the uppermost position. Also, if your thread breaks, you need to do the same, put the foot all the way up. As long as I do that, I don't have a tension problem. Be sure to get training on the basics of this machine as it's different. I did have a problem that I couldn't use my old Viking's free motion feet on it. I believe that has to do with the automatic foot sensor. The dealer let me try a new one and I loved it! She was kind enough to give it to me free of charge. One nice accessory that is available that I have not splurged on is a walking foot that has a few snap in feet like a stitch-in-the-ditch foot, so you can use both at once! It's over $100 (probably worth every penny), but I'm using my old walking foot for now and hoping Santa will get me the new one for Christmas. :mrgreen: If you do buy it, just be sure to take whatever lessons are offered! My dealer offers unlimited "know your machine" classes. I think Joann's offers 2.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:09 AM

what is wrong with your 9000, I have one that is 13 yrs old and still going strong. Marge
Old 08-27-2009, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
what is wrong with your 9000, I have one that is 13 yrs old and still going strong. Marge
[quote]

coming from inside the machine the upper right side by the wheel there is a grinding noise and it is slower or maby thats just me not wanting to do any more dammage I was just sewing along and it started making the noise
Old 08-27-2009, 05:53 AM

[quote=Sandra Craig]
Originally Posted by mic-pa

coming from inside the machine the upper right side by the wheel there is a grinding noise and it is slower or maby thats just me not wanting to do any more dammage I was just sewing along and it started making the noise
Any chance you can take it to a dealer and have them look at it. Of coarse the 9000 are considered old on the market these days so maybe its a good excuse to get a new machine. What ever you decide good luck. Marge