Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking at long arms >

Looking at long arms

Looking at long arms

Old 07-08-2023, 05:42 AM

SewingPup, funny to read you went with the APQS made in Carroll, IA as that's where I live. I compared their APQS with Innova and for the money, I went with the Innova which my dealer is up in MN, your direction, sort of funny when you think about it. My Innova will take any thread I throw at it including embroidery threads and metallics. I had them add the upgraded tension system so I rarely have to adjust the upper tension at all and I use Jamie's way of checking my bobbin tension. Just thought I'd throw that out at you. Glad you like your APQS and you now have a dealer in your town. Mine has moved closer to downtown now and I think I went into their shop once in the 12 years I've lived here.
Old 07-08-2023, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I might be mad (probably am!) but I just bought an APQS Larry and it should be delivered next week. I'm beyond excited and can't wait to play with it! I never ask for things or buy things for myself so I really appreciate my husband getting me such a big toy! One far off day I might quilt for others, but as of right now, I'm just planning on quilting for myself and family.
Oh, I'm so excited FOR you!! Happy days, life is good!
Old 07-08-2023, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
SewingPup, funny to read you went with the APQS made in Carroll, IA as that's where I live. I compared their APQS with Innova and for the money, I went with the Innova which my dealer is up in MN, your direction, sort of funny when you think about it. My Innova will take any thread I throw at it including embroidery threads and metallics. I had them add the upgraded tension system so I rarely have to adjust the upper tension at all and I use Jamie's way of checking my bobbin tension. Just thought I'd throw that out at you. Glad you like your APQS and you now have a dealer in your town. Mine has moved closer to downtown now and I think I went into their shop once in the 12 years I've lived here.
Well, like I said, I got a demo machine because the cost was lower and I really don't have issues with tension and have used other kinds on her like glide, OMNI, Aurfil, Kind Tut without problems I also use Jamie's method of adjusting tension. There is an Innova dealer about 100 miles south of me. LIke I said before, I narrowed it down to between Innova and APQS and really think both of them are fine machines. Mine is not the newest and greatest model as she is 12-13 years old now but still running great and flies over any fat seams and moves like a champ both right to left and left to right. I actually find I do not use the entire space I have to quilt on because of my short arms.
Old 07-09-2023, 03:59 AM

SewingPup, this that dealer is the one I use. My machine is also about the same age as yours as I ordered it back in 2012 after going to my 1st quilt show in Des Moines.
Old 07-09-2023, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Oh, I'm so excited FOR you!! Happy days, life is good!
Thanks! It's a dream come true for sure!
Old 07-13-2023, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

I have an INNOVA 26 with lightening stitch on a 12 ft frame. If I would do it over again, I would get a 22inch throat opening with lightening stitch on a 12 ft table, cheaper and even better control. If you plan to put it on a computer you do need a 24 inch throat opening. I love how the INNOVA preforms. I did have issues with INNOVA, they gave me a different thread winder and leaders then I purchased. The thread winder was a piece of thrash and the leaders where black and had all kinds of stretch. I complained about it right away, when they guy came and installed, and they, INNOVA and dealer, dragged me along and finally told me it had been too long. Ugh! I now have a Gammil thread winder. I also had something funky as the machine was running backwards and it was off. We had the guy come out twice and then hubby finally fixed it. The machine and lightening stitch are wonderful. I have physical issues and this machine is very easy to handle with one hand and super light. Get a good class on the INNOVA. I am not planning to change my machine. I have had it for a decade.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:55 AM

You know it is a question only you can decide we all have our favorites and things that work for us but it does not work for everyone. Go with your gut and good luck
Old 09-28-2023, 02:27 AM

I have a very old Homesteader without stitch regulation. I put a used PC quilter on her (aka Bertha) a few years ago. Basically edge to edge, but I can use her to quilt without the robot. She is still performing beautifully. 19" throat Loves to be loaded with cotton thread and is a beautiful machine. I have rails to extend her to 10 ft, but haven't done that. I do mostly small quilts for charity or as lap quilts for friends. Perhaps by now you have found a system which you are pleased with! Happy quilting.
Old 09-28-2023, 10:17 AM

I have a very old used longarm with 15" throat. I never thought I could get a longarm went thru Nolting I tried it out and decided to get it. They delivered it set it up and I got a year gurantee. I did have some problems mostly operator error they were always there to help
Old 09-28-2023, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

I told my husband I wanted a LA like the one Donna Jordan has in her shop. Load it and let the machine do the quilting. The only issue is where to put it.