Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a man pattern

Plaids are always good for a guy.

Here is one that I made for brother-in-law. He loves it.

You don't even need a pattern. There is one though. It was called Sunshine and Shadows. I found it in a library book. I have also seen it called Roman Stripes. You can google for it.

Super easy and pretty fast half square triangles to make the blocks. They can be any size blocks. Put on a wider border or two to make it grow faster. :thumbup:

I used a mix of homespun and flannel with a flannel back. Large TV/nap size for a man.

Ted's quilt
    Name:  Attachment-90680.jpe
Views: 43
Size:  145.4 KB

I think about any pattern will work, I think what's more important is the colors you use, most guys seem to like those darker duller colors, or sharp contrasts. My son's favorite blanket was red on one side and a black/white check on the other.

Blog Entries
    I did a wildlife with lots of bears, deer, wolves, pine trees, ect. Found some of my designs in children colorbooks and made trip to Library as well. I used applique method with the iron on sticky stuff and then went around the designs with the machine buttonhole stitch. First time I matched thread to the item but...second time I used black, also charcoal would do nicely. I prefer the black.
    The background would look well in heavy muslin but I used various cottons in shades of tans, light to medium with the darker between the blocks. I encased the blocks with brown and green. This type quilt can be whatever you imagine because you just cannot mess with Mother Nature and do it wrong.
    Also I liked it so well I did 10 sweatshirts with the bear, 3 different size pinetrees and a lame gold sun. Shirts were in grey, tan, black, white but I liked the gray the best.

Blog Entries
    Ted's quilt looks terrific.The colors are great.

I made my son a log cabin and he loved it.

Oh you are too funny clem.

Anyone have the perfect man? Do they really exist?

I am trying to find a pattern for the patriotic quilt I am planning to give to my son. I just got the McCalls Quilting Sept/Oct 2010 magazine and on page 50 is a pattern called Dream Catcher. I thought about using different prints for each diamond block. The pattern looks simple yet attractive. What do you think?

Got another quilt magazine today but haven't looked at it yet.

My hubby is pretty darn close to perfect. But seems to suffer from PMS once in awhile! How dare he take our (women) reason for being cranky. LOL

I have made lots for my son; any pattern except applique seems to be fine since it's the fabrics that you use, not the pattern usually. His favorite, though, is a whole-cloth quilt (I sewed two 2 1/2 yard lengths together longways) in a wonderful, action-packed basketball print...and backed it in solid black. Some quick crosshatching to hold it all together and it was done. 12 years later, many washings later and it's still going strong. I learned then that taking the time to piece was lost on him!!!! BTW----I always make his quilts extra long since he is 6'6" so don't use my 2.5 yard measure unless you want really huge quilts!

I did a kaliedescope in shades of brown and cream for my son.

I have a 36 year old son...and am planning on making him one using the "Tall Ships" pattern...on muslum with burgandy and navy.. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by jfifer
    My son wants me to make him a quilt. I have asked what kind and he responded " I don't Care" So My question is What kind of quilt pattern do I do for a 28 years old? I would like for it to be manly. Please help.

I say the tshirt quilt. I made one for my grandson and he is absolutely thrilled with it. He has told me at least 7 times how much he loves the quilt. At 28, he should have many tshirts to make a great quilt. I was lucky. I caught my grandsons tshirts just one day before they were to go to Goodwill.

Log cabin

Quote Originally Posted by jfifer
    My son wants me to make him a quilt. I have asked what kind and he responded " I don't Care" So My question is What kind of quilt pattern do I do for a 28 years old? I would like for it to be manly. Please help.
    Here is one I made for my brother-in-law using a panel, (any panel could be used) (He is a hunting guide) if you're interested I will try and find the pattern or at least the information where I got it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I just did a bears paw with a flying geese border in blue and white for my grandson. Beautiful!

Red Rooster has a pattern called "Squirrel in a Cage" that a really neat guy quilt.

http://www.redroosterfabrics.com/content6850.html

I really think any pattern will work as a guy quilt if you stick to guy colors - browns and earthtones - or greens and cream (hunter's star).

Red Rooster has a pattern called "Squirrel in a Cage" that a really neat guy quilt.

http://www.redroosterfabrics.com/content6850.html

I really think any pattern will work as a guy quilt if you stick to guy colors - browns and earthtones - or greens and cream (hunter's star).

I made a quilt for my oldest son. I'm attaching a photo.

There is a very nice black and white contemporary quilt that would be very nice for an adult male in Fons & Porter's, March/April 2008, Love of Quilting, page 68, called "Study in Black and White." Check it out here: http://threadtails.wordpress.com/201...-a-red-behind/
    I like crisp lines and deep colors in male quilts.

I like the warm wishes. I made one with the Ga. Bull dog fabric & GS was very pleased.

I've made one of my sons a Bow Tie quilt. It was a serge as you go class but could be done just as well on a sewing machine. I used a green plaid and a tan marble fabric.

I made a Diamond Log Cabin in fall colors for an Male Engineer Friend. (all strips the same width in the diamond) 6 point star
    Was originally a tablecloth pattern. Just squared it off for a bed. Turned out beautiful.
    Kathy

Hopefully this Disappearing 9 patch will be visible. Someone on this board made and showed this quilt, which I thought was very appropriate for a manly man!

Disappearing nine patch
    Name:  Attachment-91055.jpe
Views: 68
Size:  58.1 KB

Oh this is so funny. I thought you were looking for a quilt pattern called "Looking for a Man." Hm. I wonder what that would look like.

Most any pattern will work, maybe not butterflies, it is the material that will make it more for a man. Look through the Turning 20 books too. Someone else suggested Yellow Brick Road, which would make up nicely in darks/light, plaids and solids.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I saw this quilt picture in a catolog. There is not a pattern because it's the quilt for sale. I kept the picture because I thought it would make a good 'guy quilt'. It would be easy to make without a pattern. Someday, I will make it, but it will be larger than this one.

I like that one! That star block could represent any interest the guy might have -- sports, hobbies, etc.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast