Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a man pattern

I thought it was a pattern to make a man too! I think there are patterns for everything else! Let's see, warm and natural for his insides...

If he "doesn't care" make him one with Hello Kitty designs.

or

a B/W one is manly.

Quote Originally Posted by jfifer
    My son wants me to make him a quilt. I have asked what kind and he responded " I don't Care" So My question is What kind of quilt pattern do I do for a 28 years old? I would like for it to be manly. Please help.
    A while back I post a page "A little for my Crappie quilt would be nice". If you can find that page (I don't know how to add the link) but it shows what I used for my hubby and everyone of his friends as well as my brother now wants one. SO maybe you could use the same type of idea but change the crappie fishes to something he would like.

I did a pinwheel in his favorite colors of black, dark purple and dark teal.

Quote Originally Posted by katiebear1
    I did a pinwheel in his favorite colors of black, dark purple and dark teal.
    Ohhhh.. just my colors. would love to see that one, so I could drool a bit. LOL

I made one for my husband in the "french braid" style using navy & gold - looks good!

i made the quilt in my avatar for my nephew. the colors are a bit bright for a grown man but the bear paw pattern is easy and rather manly. i made my own panel with a bear & tree applique.
    i'm working on DH quilt now. green & brown batiks. link to pattern, scroll down to Magic Squares.
    http://www.storyquilts.com/html/general.html

How about the "Out of the Box" that just a few days ago someone here posted. Its awesome, looks 3D.
    I think it would make a great mans quilt.
    Muriel

Check out this quilt a friend is working on. Might be what you are looking for!

http://sidsinstitches.com/shirts.html

I just finished a french braid for my 23 year old son. I did it all in green. He likes it but now to get it quilted right.

Yes,my reaction was lay him on some wide muslin & trace around him. Then crazy quilt the whole guy . A great gift for a bachelorette! Or a divorce survivor!! There are those hunky guy fabrics now. My college girls loved them as pillows. Off topic, sorry... creative brain will ramble!

any block would be fine, in my humble opinion if just use non flowery material.

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Yes,my reaction was lay him on some wide muslin & trace around him. Then crazy quilt the whole guy . A great gift for a bachelorette! Or a divorce survivor!! There are those hunky guy fabrics now. My college girls loved them as pillows. Off topic, sorry... creative brain will ramble!
    reminded me of this picture of a quilt I saw somewhere and thought it was great! Not sure if this is what you had in mind :wink:
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's really cute!

Does he have any interests or hobbies? I made my hubby a quilt with "Link" on it from a Legend of Zelda video game.

[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...demma/link.jpg[/IMG]

This was taken before I finished piecing and before I started quilting, but you get the idea

Banned
    Blog Entries
    All your quilts are beautiful. God bless. Penny

seemingly in the land of infants & toddlers!
    If anyone finds a 'man pattern' let me know. I have 2 beautiful adult daughters...

LOL montanablu!

LOL from me too. And of course we know there is no pattern for us women, especially since women's lib hit us.

There are some nice seascape type patterns around too that, made with deep greens and/or blues can be very masculine.

lgc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    There's a quilt designed by Bill Kerr and Weeks Ringle that was featured in the June 2010 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting Magazine that would be great for a guy. It's called Crossing and looks like this: http://craftnectar.com/2010/04/12/cr...ret-and-susan/

You can get a back issue of the magazine from APQ or a kit of the quilt from FunQuilts (Kerr and Ringle's business name) at http://www.funquilts.com/gallery/patterns/patterns.html
    Love this one! Great for that 25-30+ male.

Blues and beiges are nice in a man's quilt. I have seen a few made entirely from men's shirt fabrics - which you can get free from some tailors You can mix the blues and beiges in the blocks or do blue and beige blocks then alternate them. Boat and ship patterns look masculine + you could make a bunch of different ship patterns and alternate them I did two boys quilts with a large ship (Bluenose) in the centre, then alternating blue and yellow blocks (could be blue and beige blocks) all around,, more on the horizontal rows to make the quilts longer, the check and tattersall borders arond the blocks, then another couple of horizontal fors, more check and tatersal borders, then dark blue binding. They bot loved them almost to death. Even worn they still look cute.

The "T" block looks "manly" with appropriate "colors."

Plaids, broadcloth type fabric.

The lonestar quilt.

The Mariner's Compass Quilt is a beautiful quilt but this would be time consuming and require advanced quilting skill. I don't think I would ever be this skilled.

Where did you find the Blue Nose for the center. Pieced or a picture? My son is in the Navy at Little Creek and wants his wedding quilt to be a Mariners Compass. I want to include Tall Ships as I am an artist and paint watercolor portraits of tall ships. I would like to include some tall ships in with the guilt.
    I already have one compass done. (The fold method) Need to complete 3 more then will build around. Do you have any suggestions.
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Chatfield
    I made one for my husband in the "french braid" style using navy & gold - looks good!
    That's what I'm needing to work on for my DH now...making a french braid, using blue and gold (and some brown, believe it or not!). Isn't that funny...we are both making blue and gold french braids for our sweethearts!

:wink:

I think plaids always look great for guys!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast