Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for a new machine >

Looking for a new machine

Looking for a new machine

Old 01-27-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Suzan Larrimore
You should look at the Husqvarna Viking models as well. I have one and wouldn't trade it for anything.
I have two--one for the city, one for the country house. I love them both. And I bought the second one for a good deal as it was used.

Laurie
Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 AM

I have 2 Janome's and LOVE them. I wouldn't own any other machine brand. Last year I won a Bernina and it's a nice machine, but it's not a Janome. I have the 9000 and a 10000, and believe me, when I can do it - I will head to my local Janome dealer and buy another one.
I have friends who have Bernina's and Viking's. I have heard too many times the grumbling of the Viking owners. Bernina's are a nice machine, but when you go to purchase new feet - take your banker with. I can't believe how much the feet are for those machines.
You will hear as many different opinions as there are different people on this board. The best thing you can do is take a few days, do a road trip to as many different dealers as you can and give them all a try. Remember to check on the prices of accessories. That may be a factor also, and one that is hardly ever mentioned.
Have fun and don't rush your decision.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:48 AM

I bought a used Pfaff at a Baby Lock dealer. The price was great. I loved the dealer so I would probably go back there to buy a new one. My suggestion would be to choose the machine and the shop where you can feel free to ask questions and get repairs quickly.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

Thank you all for you input and wisdom - really this is just like buying car! I am going with the Baby Lock Symphony for $2200 - it is very much like my old Athena 2000 (yes I know that dates me :)) I am now looking for a good price on a small cabinet to sew on.....